Ch. 9 - Letterman Jacket

I'M NERVOUS

I'M NERVOUS.

As I drove to school, I tried to keep myself calm.

I hope she says yes.

I parked my car in the parking lot, and I turned my car off. I grabbed my phone from the passenger seat, and I opened my message app.

I scrolled until I found her contact, and I clicked on it. I was so happy when she gave me her number so we could schedule a study session for Thanksgiving break.

Campbell West

I texted, I have a question to ask you.

A few moments later, she responded.

Okay. Shoot.

Well, I want to ask you in person. I texted back.

Okay, the boys and I are almost at the school.

Alright, I'll be waiting by my car. I replied.

Okay.

I opened my social media, trying to keep myself busy so I won't pass out from anxiety.

And that's when I saw it.

Maya posted a picture with the guy I found her with in New York City, and the caption said; My entire world.

I totally forgot that I followed her because I usually don't go on social media.

For some odd reason, jealousy and anger went through me.

I took a deep breath, and I kept telling myself that I shouldn't care since she cheated on me.

But it still stung. 

I shut off my phone, throwing it in my school bag.

That's when I saw Elliot's truck pulling into the parking lot. I got out of my car, throwing my bag over my shoulder.

Elliot walked off, and I walked over to them with a fake smile.

"Hey, guys," I said, catching Campbell's attention.

"Hey, Brent," Nick said, and we high-fived each other.

"Ready for the game tonight?" I asked as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Yeah. I'm going to go talk to coach, but I'll see you guys in homeroom," Nick said, walking away.

Campbell looked at me with a shy smile.

"So, what's your question?" Campbell asked me, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

Here goes nothing.

"I was wondering if you would like to wear my letterman jacket tonight? It's a tradition when we have an away game. The girls are going to be wearing theirs," I explained, quickly, trying to keep my anxiety down.