Vl : hiding place

Kay-

It was getting dark and I was getting cold, even Niall’s zip up over my long sleeved tee, the cold harsh wind went straight through it and chilled my bones. I missed him more than I wanted I admit so I brought his jacket with me as a weak reminder. I packed up a few of my more treasured items in my room and while my father was out cold on the couch I snuck past him with my suitcase and out of the flat building forever.

I made my way to the nicer side of town with my suitcase trailing behind me and made my way to my mum’s.

I was turning 18 next Monday and the fake restraining order would be revoked from use. But I couldn’t wait a week, I had to go now.

I knew I had made a risky move by not telling anyone where I was going, but I knew my mum could keep me hidden, from my past, from Niall.

I walk into the lobby, the warm air welcoming me and I walk to the lift. I step in and press for the top floor and I was there soon. I take a deep breath and pull out my key from my pocket. I slip the key in the lock and turn it until it clicks.

I open the door and my mum sits there on the couch with the tele on and a glass of wine in one hand.

“You’ve gotten smarter Kay.” She says, “Both Lily and Niall, I think his name was, were here.”

“I knew this was the first place they would check so I delayed.” I say, setting my stuff down on the hardwood flooring and take off Niall's hoodie.

She sets her wine down on the coffee table and stands up walking to me and wrapping me in a hug.

“Welcome home Kay.” She mumbles into my neck.

“Glad to be here.” I tell her back.

“I got your room ready just in case.” She says, pulling back smiling.

“Thanks mum, but we need to talk.”

“Well then sit down.” She says, motioning to the couch, for me to sit.

I kick off my converse and sit down on the couch, while she takes a seat next to me, picking back up her wine and taking a sip.

“I want to start clean.” I put out there.

“Which would be???” she says, waiting for me to fill in the blank.

“No Niall, no Lily, nothing in my past. No more Kay Taylor, she will never have existed, she ran away and no one could find her. I am going to be Kay Carter, and uni student, with no past, just a future.”

“That’s risky Kay.” My mum states the obvious.