Raph x Shy reader (Songfic)

Requested by @Yolomikuchan

Title: n y l a

~You're in New York, I'm in L.A.
I drive to work, you take the train.
My heart, it burns, yes it burns,
yes it burns. We're oceans away.~

I sighed and turned off my phone screen, tossing it onto my bed as I made my way over to the window, sitting down on the chair I had situated beside it. I was leaving New York tomorrow morning and I still hadn't found a good way to say goodbye to my best friends.

How was I supposed to tell the turtles that I was leaving and that there was a good chance I wasn't coming back? How do you explain something like that to them? They wouldn't understand. After all, they were turtles that were sure that they would never leave the sewers. Leo had told me once that he didn't dream- none of them did. Because their tomorrow wasn't for certain. Their days were constantly changing so they didn't have the time, nor heart, to try and hope for something good.

And then here I was, doing exactly that. I was living my dream and it made me feel awful- especially when I was thinking about them. Even if they didn't show it, they wanted to dream, they did. They showed it in the little things they did every day; you just had to know what to look for.

Leo wanted to make sure his brothers would always be safe, even if he himself hated life. But, there were a few times when I caught him talking about what he wanted in life when they one day defeated Shredder and the Kraang. Leo would love to own a dojo and be able to teach the way his father had taught him; that was his dream. To continue on the teachings of the Hamato family and continue his father's legacy.

Raph wanted to leave. That's it. He didn't want to be trapped in the sewers forever. He honestly saw Splinter finding them as baby turtles a stroke of luck and that was it. If Splinter had been alone when he'd been mutated, he would have been forced into the sewers alone in the darkness with no family. Raph didn't want that. He didn't want to find a family by just a stroke of luck. He wanted to find a family by getting away from New York and not being forced to hide. He was the one that hated being a turtle the most.

Donnie wanted to see the things that people saw as "boring". He wanted to see the ocean in person, he wanted to work in a lab with other hard-working souls that just listened to the silence. He wanted to see an orchestra play for hours on end while he sat there and relaxed, not a care nor worry in mind. Donnie wanted peace and quiet- the one thing he couldn't have.

Mikey, oh Mikey. He didn't want to be a turtle at all. He just wanted to be human. He wanted to be able to experience human life as it was and nothing else. He wanted to be able to go to a high school for a day and hang out with friends after school as they walked around town laughing and complaining about the teachers and talking about the latest drama. He wanted to be able to go on long road trips and see things that would make other people jealous. He just wanted to live.

I sighed and leaned my head back onto the seat of my chair as I continued to watch the sky with a blank expression. There was nothing I could do to help them. It pained me to say as they were my best friends- and even one a crush- but, it was the truth.

With a heavy sigh, I stood up and reached for a hoodie and a pair of tennis shoes so I could finally stop putting it off.

"Come on, (y/n). You can do this."

~I'll be asleep by the time you're awake.
By the time you're awake.~

I slumped into the lair entrance and ran a hand down my face tiredly as I turned to glare at the bag I had thrown over my shoulder that had the audacity to be heavy. I gently shifted the box I had in my arms and lifted my sore shoulders to stretch them a bit. Right as I had turned into the lighted area, there were shouts of my name and footsteps as someone ran over to me.