Chapter Four: Tangents

"Goodie!" Tanner exclaimed as he walked over to you with a newfound bounce in his step. The answer you gave seemed to make him giddy, overjoyed even, and quite frankly it nearly sickened you. While you realize there was little to no hesitation you gave to comply with his unnerving request, it was better to comply and meet his demands rather than potentially die sooner than you intend. Even then, you don't feel like you'd want it to be at the hands of this slicked-back haired freak.

"That's relieving to hear. I didn't want to make the process longer and be the one to unfortunately tell Luna that she's lost a dear friend. She's already lost so much." As he spoke aloud- even though it appeared he didn't seem to be necessarily talking directly to you, it was up in the air and the words faded like cigarette smoke- he went behind you to do something you were unaware of yet.
"How do you know what she's been through? How do you even know us?"

The question was left unanswered for quite sometime, and you faintly wondered if he had somehow left the room. Until a pair of strong hands clamped down on your shoulders, and you felt an unwanted presence loom over you in your chair.
"Oh I know everything about you because I know how to do my proper research. Think of it like her investigation work, but only for me it's due to admiration and genuine interest. Call it a hobby!" Tanner explained with a faint chortle as he seemed to kneed like a cat into your shoulders. Applying pressure but soon letting it slip away to make his touch as light as air, only to repeat the process in fours until a longer pause ensued before he continued.

"Enlighten me. What do you know?" You challenged. His touch was nothing but discomforting, but the last thing you wanted was to be stuck unable to move- like the situation you're In now- and for him to do something harmful to you. Perhaps you'd try to tell him your real thoughts when you were in more of an area with breathing space.
"Well, I can list off a lot of things. I'll be completely honest, but Luna catches my eye more than you do. Of course I've done my fair share of digging for your information, but her? Hmm..." he trailed off lightly as his hands stayed stationary and stopped moving. "Luna is a wonderful person. I could go on-and-on about her for mere hours if I wanted to." His tone took on a more dreamlike state of awe, and you were nothing less than dumbfounded. This man is nothing but some stalker type secret admirer to her!

Of course, you knew you had to continue to ask him stuff to get all the answers you wanted so you lightly muttered "..Then talk about her."
"Oh, if you insist!" He squeezed your shoulders as hard as he could before letting you go, and he shifted to the side of your chair as he continued. "You know the basic information like name, gender, social security number, family relations dating back until her Great Grandparents, so I won't get into those boring details. Well let me start off by reiterating that she is a lovely, beautiful lady with extraordinary skills. Most people don't want to put the effort into things, but she is willing to give anything to put in the extra effort!"

You figured you would know everything he wanted to ramble on about, so you let yourself kind of zone out to think of what you were going to do with the further predicament you'd find yourself in sooner or later. Luckily, he didn't seem to stop in his dreamy rant about how much he seemed to adore Luna- odd as it was- but that just gave you extra time so you didn't complain.
It wasn't until he was finished talking that you had concocted a weird plan. Like you'd see in the movies, maybe you could get his trust and then immediately bail on him! If you were going to be "lovers" he shouldn't do anything bad to you, right?

"But enough about her, I can tell you aren't interested," Tanner stayed abruptly as if he had a bad taste in his mouth. As you stared up at him he made his way over to the side of the table again, where he just simple turned on his heel to look at you.
"Of course, with this agreement I expect a lot out of you. But you'll figure out what that is in due time. And as long as you help things go smoothly I will not hurt you more than you deserve." As he spoke he gave you an almost sweet smile. Behind the words he was saying he would easily pose as a harmless looking guy. The type who probably sucked at sports in high school, a probable nerd, but it was still baffling how he acted.

All you could do was lightly nod your head in agreement, although there was nothing to agree on. It wasn't a question, it was a statement- a demand, even- and there was no room for disagreements. Like you've been saying, it's better to help this go smoothly rather than get yourself killed.
"So are you just making me stay here the entire time?"
"No, I'll be transporting you to a different location shortly." As he thought and spoke at the same time you could see his shoulders lightly rise. "Isn't it so exciting? This is going to be fun!"

The last thing you were thinking was describing this situation- or any upcoming situations- as fun. That's why you simply just stared at him for a long while before your gaze dropped to your lap pathetically.
"Someone doesn't look too happy," Tanner stated in an almost pathetic and mocking pout. "What's wrong, doll? Not looking forward to spending time with someone like me?" He asked as his hand got placed delicately on his chest for emphasis on 'me'. It was no doubt this man had some sort of ego going to him, but a motive for his weird incomprehensible wants was left a mystery to you.
"I think I'll grow quite accustomed. But now? I'm not quite excited, but that can change." You explained, just trying to keep his narcissism and hope afloat. Luckily, he gave a pleased hum at this answer.

"You see, I know by the end of this you'll enjoy our time together. I'm not one for solipsism, but perhaps you'd consider me your creator by the end of this! The real in the world of fake, the God in the world of denizens." Tanner explained as he drew closer to you once again. Furthermore, his talking just resulted in more questions than answers.
"What do you mean by that?" You asked as he replied in a long huff.
"I don't have time to explain everything I say, now be good and sit still."
His hand drew closer, now revealed to be holding one of the same syringes he used to inject you earlier, and that made your blood run cold.
"WAIT!" You shouted, and it caught him off guard quite a bit as his hand drew back.

There was a long pause of silence as he stared down at your nearly sweating figure. The expression on his face was blank, despite the corners of his mouth etched up in his default unwanted smile, but the emotion in his eyes was undetectable.
"Very irresponsible. Bruising around the neck due to injection isn't very pleasant, and I was trying to avoid that. What's so important you had to stop me in the middle of attempting to transport you?"
In all seriousness you had nothing bedsides the fact that you desperately wanted to keep his attitude afloat and a needle away from your neck. Improvising, you stared up at him uselessly. "I just had one more question..."
Tanner rubbed his eyes in a frustrated manner before turning around to go back to his table of instruments. "Shoot. It's not like we have anything to loose besides time."
"Why Luna?.." It was a question you seriously had wanted to ask earlier but didn't have the means of formulating the words to ask. It seemed to be a good question to ask, because as you looked over you saw his shoulders rise and fall as if he took a deep silent breath.

"She is... special, to say the least. The Lunar Eclipse, blinding by her beauty alone which was sculpted-" he started, the syringe out of his grasp as his hands lifted, "-with the hands of a master. A God." His fists clenched as he spoke, and his trembling was prominent as he thought on the subject. "Intelligent... Too intelligent to be an ordinary person. You? Subpar, at best, but her?" With a loose chuckle he turned to face you, a desperate look in his eye. "She can challenge A.I. She perhaps may even be that! Isn't it wonderful? A man made creation competing against man... and what a delicious battle it shall be." His tangent got less and less coherent the more he went on, and at this time you sort of wished you had accepted the needle.

"I-.. I don't..."
"Understand? Of course you don't!" His yearning tone turned quite sour, and a hand shot out to grab the syringe once more. "Now.. Be quiet. No more questions or you're going to make me want to drill a hole in your temporal lobe and stick a chip in it to make you shut up!" Tanner hissed as he came over. Your heart rate picked up exponentially as his expression darkened. It looked like he was going to stab you over and over again with that needle, and you closed your eyes right right before a hot pain shot in your neck, opposite to the side he had hit the other time. The world spun in your stomach. Before you could open your mouth to whimper, you fell back into the depths of unconsciousness.

FOOTNOTES:
————————————————
Thank you so much, I know I haven't updated this in forever! Motivation is just hard to come by. Comments help me going! So thank you guys for the support even in this year ❤️ I hope the update is good and please give feedback it's appreciated! Thank you!