Chapter 3 ~Hard Work~

*I know, I may have misspelled some words cause honestly i'm too lazy to search up the word and see if it is spelled correctly. Be patient, don't kill me just yet. D: *

   So you see, training is bullshit. I know that it will come in handy later, I bet you more than half of this training shit is gonna be  useless! By the way, I did make more friends on the way. 

Their names are: Damien Mckenzie, Paul Deans, Derick Hagermen, and last but to least Andrew Hernandez. Andrew is literally the first Hispanic that I ever saw up close and that actually spoke English fluently. 

That's how you know that i'm quite ignorant.

   Damien and the rest were too busy looking at my stuff. "MAN! How come you don't got any playboy magazines or something close enough?!" Damien said, sounding frustrated. 

I just sat there with a dumbfounded face and soon turning into the color of a tomato. 

"Aww look what we got here, a cherry boy!" Laughed Derick who was also joined by the rest except Quincy. 

"Quit it out y'all, he's a virgin so what? At least he ain't got any disease unlike y'all. I'm Gay and I don't give a fuck." He was just simply trying to defend me. 

"Whoa, man you didn't have to go that far." Muttered Derrick.The laughter instantly died out.

" Don't worry we won't judge you. But keep it a secret while you can 'cause it won't be pretty if someone finds out. Especially those who are against homosexuals." Added Paul.

   I put my face into my palms and dreaded being here. I am serious, what's with those guys. But I honestly wonder what sex feels like?...

"Hey, any of you experienced, like you know with sex?" I blushed. They all looked at me and all broke out into laughter, once again. 

"Naw man, some of us are experienced," Damien wiggled his eyebrows at Derrick. "But if you really wanna know, you should go out and explore. Vietnam would be a great place to start. It's quite hard to explain  to be honest."

   Lieutenant Gerald came by and peeked his head in our room. He didn't seem that happy. "Man, I was getting to know you boys and now it's time to go in that fucking oven-jungle. I actually got to meet nice boys like y'all and now it's time." He began to sob in his hands but that quickly turn to an end. 

"Don't look at me while my eyes sweat. I also found out that I have to go since we were all called in action. I'm also gonna be your platoon leader and you boys will be my troop. Once we get there, I will tell the rest. Get some sleep now 'cause tomorrow is a big day. PACK YOUR STUFF BOYS!

He left the room and rushed out as fast as he could. We all just sat there in surprise, speechless.

   What did Lieutenant Gerald mean by "oven jungle"? I thought that Vietnam was suppose to  have a Californian weather. Oh well, I can endure heat pretty well since I was born in Texas and my whole life was mainly outside. 

Anyways, I couldn't sleep all night. Even though my friends were allowed to stay in our room for the night. My eyes wouldn't shut. It was morning already so I might as well sleep on the plane since it will take long hours before we could get there. Man, crossing a huge ocean while on a plane sounds darn scary.

   I glanced over at the guys, they were all sound asleep. Only one hour before it was time to get ready and leave by 7:30 a.m. I was nervous but excited to see what this country looked liked. Vietnam, here I come!

I tip-toed to the bathroom and started the shower. After 10 minutes I decided to reorganize my stuff and make a list of regrets. I was bored okay? But what bothered me most before I left to training was when my siblings were clueless...

~Flash Back~

   "Charlie, where are you going?" Lily asked. I stood there staring at her, not sure if I should tell her. "I'm going to go fight and become a hero." I answered, forcing myself to not cry. 

She looked at me with huge eyes that sparkled. "A hewo? WOW!" 

I felt as if I had lied, which was true. Because not all soldiers who fought in the war were simply heroes. Lily had ran to tell Davy. But Davy knew better. He didn't say anything, he was too hurt to even look at me. 

"It's war that he's talking about Lily. Get it right." That was the last thing I heard from him except "good bye" from momma and the two. 

~Going back to reality~

I wish that I could've been smarter and been nicer to momma. She was going through much more than I was, but now it was my turn to take responsibility. I didn't want to turn out to be fucked up like dad or even worse, mental. 

Time was ticking by way too fast so I had to wake up the crew. They all took quick showers and gathered everything that they had. We all took our last looks of America and headed to the airport. Things were about to get interesting.

   On the way to the airport, everybody was silent. No one ate and the atmosphere was getting tighter, harder to breathe. I didn't want to break the silence. I preferred it this way, we all looked out the window and I knew that each of us had deep thoughts. We didn't know what we were doing, and where we were headed. There was a surprise waiting, something in my guts told me that I shouldn't be that excited. 

I looked over to the right and saw Quincy crying. He didn't like this, neither did we. We just tried to stay strong while he represented our emotions.

A foreign country... It had hit me real hard.

-A pretty tough start for a 16 year old boy who barely started Junior year and now had to leave his jobless mother behind. He would only get pay $10 a month. That money would be sent to his Mother from him, by letter. Charles is not a mercenary but the money is secretly from Quincy Prejean, the rich boy.-