Chapter 5 ~The Girl~

*So I decided that this chapter will be in the girl's perspective and some chapters will be like this just to let you know ahead of time. >w<*

I woke up to find my mother and father gone. I suppose they went to work again. 

Mama is only 30 years old and she sell books in the city called Saigon. That's south Vietnam, we are northern but we live in the south country side. I don't know what dad works for but he goes out into the city towards the north country side. He does get payed well ever now and then. He's  only 36 years old as well.

I glanced to my left and saw my baby brother still asleep. He was crying all day for the past few weeks since we don't have enough food to feed him nor water. I sleep most of the time to ignore my hunger but my brother is helpless. 

How do you expect a 5 month old to be "not hungry"?

I decided to get up and carry him. His face looked as if he belonged in the heavens, soft as an angel. 

Every morning, I have to go into the rice paddies to collect rice and bring it back home to cook. Then I wash our clothes in the river and take a bath as well. I wash all the dishes, sweep the place, fix some parts of the hut, and head out into the jungle.

A few months ago, I had found this weird building made of metal. It had white soldiers coming from another country I suppose.

 I only can speak Vietnamese the best (obviously), French fluently, and decent English. I've learned to speak English from one of my mama's friend named Peter Nguyen and he had given me a English dictionary plus a book as my early birthday present.

For some reason, daddy does not get a long with him.

Most of my friends have been either kidnapped to be interviewed about the Viet-congs or being one themselves. While some of my female friends have been raped. 

I'm 14 years old and I will turn 15 tomorrow. I was born on June 10th, of 1956. The war had barely just begun in the year of 1968. And I was in that year. 

When I was out in the jungle, behind a palm tree. I saw a young boy who looked about  2 years older staring at me. I've never been caught, but his gaze was not the scary kind. He looked confused, curious, but hurt all in one. 

I had followed that boy to the military base to see who he was and if he could help me. I know that it's dangerous but my brother was extremely hungry and fragile. 

I was bony myself but that's normal here in my country.

 Good thing I took a bath but I ran as fast as I could. It was already early in the evening when I decided to approach his window. Don't ask me how I know it was his, I saw him in that room.

As I walk closer to the window , the boy stood there leaning against the desk. He looked really tall from before. I tapped on the window and he immediately opened it. I didn't mean to frighten him. But for some reason we both stared into each other's eyes, examining head to toe.

 I had to break the silence and hurry out. 

"Help." I whispered.

The boy stared at me confused.

"I need food for my baby brother and water." I was nearly in tears from embarrassment and worry.

"Uh, wait. I will get some from my bag." he said calmly. I had turn to see the boy who was sleeping awoken. 

"Hmmm, what's going on Charles?" The boy muttered. But then his eyes caught mine's and I froze.

"CHARLES! Who is that girl?! What is she doing!!! Is that baby dead omg omg omg!!" He panicked.

"Don't be afraid. I'm just here to get some food and water for my baby brother. I'm not going to cause any harm." I said, answering his question.

"Quincy just shut up. You heard her." Charles snapped.

He handed me a bag of some sort that was labeled "Animal Crackers". And a carton labeled "milk".

I quickly grabbed it and thanked him. It was getting dark real fast and I had to run home. Good thing I lived only 10 minutes away. 

As I ran, Charles watched me and I smiled to myself. He was more handsome up close. I've never seen such blue eyes and blonde hair. I couldn't stop blushing so I supposed that I looked like a fool running home.

I gave my baby brother some milk and animal crackers in secret. 

Mama was cooking fish again while dad read a newspaper in the living/kitchen room. 

I was hungry myself so I took a cracker and it tasted really good! It was sweet and the milk was satisfying. Milk is too expensive and rare here so I've never tasted it.

Tomorrow, I have to come back and return him something. I also want to introduce myself properly. So that means I will have to leave once mama leaves for work which is around 6:00 a.m. 

Dad will still be in deep sleep with baby brother by the time I come back. Then he will leave for work at 7:00 a.m. 

Great, that's more than enough time.

After dinner, I decided to buy a french fruit tart that was cheap but delicious. I then placed it in a small plastic baggy that was decorated with flowers and tied with a ribbon.I hop into bed and tried shutting my eyes but Charles's face kept appearing.

Had I fallen in love? Or was I scared? My heart wouldn't stop racing. 

Maybe something is wrong with me?!

-Stay tuned for more chapters coming! Sorry if I keep typing the word "and" since it's a bad habit. It may not be the best chapter but I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to comment down below for how the next chapter should be like! :D thanks -