Chapter 20 - What about an ice cream?

Jessie scanned the classroom with a frown as she settled into her seat. She had just arrived at the school a few days ago, and she already hated it.
Everyone in her class seemed so shallow and annoying.
Emz was constantly texting on her phone, Piper was whining about her latest drama, and the rest of the students were gossiping and laughing. 

Jessie felt like she didn't belong here.

Suddenly, she heard a familiar and cheerful voice behind her.

"HI!"
Jessie smiled and turned around and saw Nita smiling at her, her bear Bruce right behind her.
"Hi, Nita," Jessie said warmly.
Nita plopped down next to Jessie and let Bruce sit on the floor.
"And hi, Bruce," Jessie said to the bear.
Bruce waved his paw at Jessie.
Nita leaned closer to Scrappy and gave him a hug.
"Hey, Scrappy! How are you today?"
Scrappy made a happy sound and licked Nita's face.
Bruce also moved closer to Scrappy and nuzzled his head with his nose.
"Bruce, be gentle," Nita reminded him. "You might hurt him."
Scrappy didn't seem to mind. He looked up at Bruce with admiration.
"Scrappy likes being nuzzled," Jessie said. "He's very friendly."

Nita grinned.
"That's good to hear. You know, this reminds me of my brother's chameleon."
Jessie raised her eyebrows.
"Your brother had a chameleon?"
Nita nodded.
"Yeah, my bro's name is Leon. His chameleon died of old age a few years ago. My brother loved him so much. He used to play with him and pet him all the time."

Jessie felt a jolt of recognition in her chest.

"Is Leon your brother?" She asked.
"Twin brother to be exact, but I'm 1 minute older than him." Nita simply replied taking off her hat.
Jessie looked at Nita more closely. She noticed that Nita had the same green eyes and hair color as Leon.

"Is everything okay?" Jessie asked.
"Not at all..." Leon whispered.
"Do you want to talk about it? Maybe I can help you" She replied.
"You can't fix this, no one can" He stopped walking.
Jessie felt bad for her friend.
"Are you sure? You know I can fix a lot of thin-"
"My chameleon is dying." He spat out.
She immediately felt guilty. Guilty because maybe she shouldn't have asked.
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Don't worry, it's... it's nothing."
"What about we take an ice cream? M-maybe it can take your mind off for a bit"
"Thank you, you know always how to make me feel better."

The thought vanished from Jessie's mind as quickly as it came. She shook her head, confused.

"Why do you ask?" Nita asked suspiciously.
Jessie snapped out of her trance and tried to act casual.
"Oh, no reason. It's just that... he's my roommate."
Nita's eyes widened.
"Really? You live with my brother?"
Jessie nodded nervously.
"Yeah, yeah. He shares the room with me."

Nita leaned forward eagerly.

"Oooh, I see. So you like my bro-"
"No no no! You got it all wrong!" Jessie interrupted, feeling her face heat up. "He's just my roommate! Nothing more!"
"Sure, sure. Whatever you say." Nita smirked as she winked at Jessie.
"But you have to admit, he's pretty cute. Not as cute as me though!"

Jessie felt herself blush even more.

She opened her mouth to deny it, but before she could say anything, the bell rang and the teacher walked in.
They quickly turned their attention to the front of the class.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘ღ⁘ღ∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Outside the classroom window, Edgar was watching them from their hiding spot in a tree, while Colette stayed on guard, taking notes, at the bottom.
They had been spying on Jessie for a while, taking pictures and notes.

"EDGAR! COME HERE QUICK! THE TEACHER IS COMING!" Colette shouted from below the tree.
Edgar looked down and saw Colette waving frantically at him.
He had been too busy taking pictures of Jessie and Nita to notice the teacher approaching.
He cursed under his breath and tried to get down.

But it was too late. The teacher saw him and yelled.

"Hey, you! What are you doing up there? Get down here right now!"

Edgar panicked and jumped off the tree.
He landed next to Colette, who grabbed his hand and pulled him away.

"Come on, let's go!" she said.

They ran as fast as they could, leaving the teacher behind, not stopping until they reached a safe place.

They panted and looked at each other.

"That was close," Edgar said.
"Too close," Colette agreed.

She checked her notebook and pen, and smiled when she noticed they were still intact.

"But I got what I wanted. What about you?"

Edgar turned on his camera and showed Colette the pictures he had taken.
They were clear and sharp, showing Jessie and Nita's faces and expressions.

"Perfect. You gathered some quite useful information back there, huh? Thank you!"Colette nodded approvingly."Like I had any choice."
He won't forgive her so easily.

Sorry for the late updates! I didn't have much time to write because of school, but in around a week I'll have my summer break and I'll have more time to write! Also, thank you so much for 4.5K views <3