Chapter 48 - A Heartfelt Confession

"But, Leon, there is something I need to tell you."

Jessie looked at Leon with a mix of fear and hope in her eyes, after Colette told her that Leon was the key to her mind she had been eager to ask him.

She now knew that Leon was more than just her roommate and friend. He was someone who had been with her since childhood, someone who had shared her joys and sorrows, someone who had protected her and cared for her. But he had never told her that. He had never revealed his true identity, or his true feelings.

She wondered why he had kept it a secret. Did he think she would not remember him? Did he think he was not worthy of her? Had he forgotten her as well?

She wanted to tell him everything. She wanted to tell him that she remembered him, that she loved him, that he was the most important person in her life.
But she was afraid.
Afraid of his reaction, afraid of his rejection, afraid of losing him, again.

Jessie decided to take a chance and to open her heart to him, hoping for the best.

She reached for his hand, which was resting on the bedside table. He was laying on th bed next to hers, looking at her with concern and affection.
Even when he had been injured in the leg during the showdown, he yet refused to leave her side.

He smiled when he felt her touch, and squeezed her hand gently.

"What is it, Jessie? Are you alright?" he asked softly, a hint of worry in his voice.
"I'm feeling better, thanks to you. You saved me, Leon. You always save me..." she said, her voice trembling.
"No, I didn't. You saved yourself. You're strong, Jessie," He shook his head modestly.

He looked at her with admiration and gratitude. He was glad that she was okay, that she had survived the ordeal. He was glad that he had been able to help her, to be there for her. He was glad that he had her in his life.

He loved her.
He had loved her since he was a kid, since he had met her in the park and had become her friend.
He had loved her since their first meeting, when her parents had died and he had consoled her.
He had loved her when she had lost her memory and he had lost her.
He had loved her when he had found her again, as his roommate.
He had loved her through all the ups and downs, through all the fights and fun, through all the brawls and victories.

He had loved her for so long, and yet he still forgot who she was.

He wanted to tell her everything. He wanted to tell her that he remembered her, that he loved her, that she was the most important person in his life.
But he was afraid.
Afraid of her reaction, afraid of her rejection, afraid of losing her.

He decided to wait. He decided to let her speak first, and hope for the best.

"Then what is it? What do you need to tell me?" he asked gently, looking at her with curiosity and anticipation.
She took a deep breath, and gathered her courage.
"Leon, I need to ask you something. Something that has been bothering me since the showdown. Something that Colette said to me, before you came to rescue me." she said, her voice serious.

He frowned, and felt a surge of anger.

"Colette? What did she say to you? Did she hurt you? Did she threaten you?" he asked, his tone protective.
"No, she didn't. She said something that confused me. Something that I don't understand. Something that... I need you to explain to me." she said, her voice earnest, shaking her head, and looking into his eyes.

He felt a pang of fear, and wondered what she was talking about.
"What did she say, Jessie?" he asked, his voice cautious.
She hesitated, and then said the words that had haunted her.
"She said that you are the key to my mind, do you have any idea of what that means?"