Chapter 9

LATER THAT NIGHT, SAUL CALLEDAnya to the field

Anya to the field. It was late and the moonlight was shining on him.

"They found the Burned One?" She asked, her eyes glimmering with hope as she sat next to him.

"They killed the wrong one," Saul stated and she let out a chocked sob. But as she looked at him, she realised that it was getting worse and he wasn't going to make it through the night.

She sat outside on the field, her head on his shoulder as they looked out at the sky. Anya was trying not to cry, trying to stay strong for him. But it wasn't working.

"You know, if this is the last thing I see, I think I'll be satisfied," he said, looking down at Anya with a sad smile.

"How do you feel?" Sky asked as he ran over, interrupting them.

There was a silence. It was uncomfortable and sad and neither Saul or Anya knew what to say.

"You said they killed it," Sky said, sounding slightly deflated. He could see the veins climbing up Sauls neck and he knew something was wrong.

"They did," Anya stated. She looked at Sky and saw the little boy her and Silva had helped raise and she didn't know how to break the news.

She didn't know how to ruin the hope that he had. They were the only family he'd ever known.

"Then why are your wounds not healed?" Sky asked Saul, looking at him with a sombre expression.

"The one they killed must not have been the one that attacked me," he said, looking down at the floor, unable to make eye contact with Sky.

His breathing was shaky as he looked up at Sky who had a disappointed and sad look on his face.

"Clearly there are more than one of the creatures out there," Saul explained.

"So the battalion will keep looking, you and Anya don't have to be saying your goodbyes now-" Sky started but Saul cut him off.

"-It's too late, Sky," Saul said, "Its over," He didn't want to believe it was over but he had given up hope.

Skys lip trembled as he looked at the two adults, they had always been this perfect and positive pair of best friends but now they were broken.

"You told me to wait," Sky said, frustrated. He couldn't believe that they were giving up so easily, not when they had finally found each other.

"Its all there was to do," Saul said, trying to convince not only Sky, but himself as well.

"And the one thing you always told me about my father was that he died fighting-" Sky said, "-and now you're just gonna lie here and take it, stare into the stars as you die, fuck that,"

"Sky," Saul said, watching as Sky started to walk off onto the distance.

"Fuck that!" He yelled out. He stormed off, hands balled into fists as he fought back the years.