XX - A Little Premature

'I still can't believe that you're- we're having- a baby?' Rory spluttered as he paced around the TARDIS' control panel. It was almost the first time he'd spoken since you'd left Heathcote Hospital. The stunned silence had been ironically deafening in the empty hospital ward, and after hugs and congratulations were exchanged, you had placed a reassuring arm around his shoulder and ushered him back to the TARDIS, his mouth still gaping wide in shock.

Amy simply nodded at his comment from the chair on the opposite side of the panel. The Doctor was still standing next to her, after helping her through the hospital as if she was already six or seven months along.

'Like- a baby. A human baby. An actual human person is growing inside of you right now.'

'Well Rory, you certainly didn't get that PhD for nothing.' you comment sarcastically, earning an approving smile from Amy and the Doctor.

'Shut up, [Y/N], I understand the biology. I'm just struggling to grasp what this actually means for us.'

'What do you mean?' Amy asks, cocking her head to one side.

'Well, us, here, in the TARDIS. We can't carry on fighting space aliens and evil clones when we've got a little one running around. Plus can you imagine a toddler in a TARDIS? We'd lose them in the first ten minutes.'

'Well, we haven't lost the Doctor yet. That's effectively the same thing.' you smile, but the Doctor doesn't hear you- or if he does he doesn't acknowledge it. You glance over to see him peering eagerly at the screen with Amy's vitals displayed upon it.

'Yeah, and my children were just fine in my last TARDIS, I wouldn't worry.' he says matter-of-factly.

'You were a dad?' you enquire. You had remembered him mentioning it before and avoiding the subject when you pressed him.

'Mhmm. When I was younger. I was a mum first, though. Was that the door?'

The Doctor leaves you all craving an explanation for his previous statement, but you knew you wouldn't get one any time soon. He sauntered over to the TARDIS doors and listens outside, pressing his ear up to the wood. You had felt the TARDIS move once you had all piled back into it after Heathcote, but the Doctor had simply explained that he was called over to the danger, and didn't know why you were wherever you were. Your intrigue had proved futile as he completely disregarded any further questions you had about the matter. This had become a theme of the day, seemingly.

Eager to see who was outside the door, you moved to the panel railings on the side closest to the Doctor, craning your head over his shoulder. He leaned down slowly, reaching towards something on the ground, and when the Doctor stood up with full arms, the three of you were rendered speechless.

'Amy, I think your baby may have come a little early.'

In his arms lay exactly that- a baby. Sound asleep, and nuzzling lovingly into the Doctor's embrace. He looked up at you and nodded back towards the door, and you ran down to retrieve the moses basket and close the door behind him as he carried the infant up to the control panel. Without breaking eye contact with the child for a second, he pulled the blanket that swaddled them up and around their face to protect them from the lights of the panel.

'There you are, sweetheart. Let's get you away from these bright lights, shall we?'

Carrying the moses basket by the handles, you stepped up and walked over to Amy and Rory, who were now standing with the Doctor and the baby. Lifting a small slip of paper from the basket, you unfolded it gently and read the words scrawled across the paper.

Doctor,

I have known this day was coming for a while now- thanks to you.

Keep her safe, as I would do if it weren't so dangerous out there. You won't know what the threat is yet, but you will. And you have to let what happens today happen, okay? No interfering. It's important.