I - The Doctor

'I'm glad you came back, Rory,'

'Are you? Or are you just glad I helped you find him?'

[-]

The Leadworth sun burned fiercely behind the trees on the morning of June 26th. It wasn't uncommon to be greeted by the sun, but this morning felt different. The warm glow didn't feel as comfortable as you would have hoped. You reluctantly peeled yourself out of bed, and used both hands to dramatically open your curtains. Nothing unusual. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Shrugging your shoulders dismissively, you turn your attention back to the room behind you, and subsequently the bridesmaid's dress hanging delicately on your wardrobe. Smiling slightly, you remembered what day it was.

Your big brother's wedding.

As if on cue, the door swings open, and you're greeted by a hyper, beaming redhead.

'I'm getting married today!' Amy smiles excitedly. She'd had time already this morning to get over the initial daunting idea of marriage, and now she was possibly the most excited you'd seen her for weeks.

'I know,' you smile back happily, opening your arms to catch her as she bounces towards you.

'Come help me get ready,'

She clasps your hand gently yet forcefully, and practically dragged you down the stairs to her dining table. Giving a subtle nod to her parents as they pass, you sit carefully on the wooden chair. You plug the hair curlers delicately into the wall behind Amy, and stand it on the windowsill to slowly heat up as you pin her hair into sections.

'So, big day, huh?' you say as the girl in front of you lines up her nail varnish choices on the table. As you finish speaking, she plucks a deep purple colour from the line up, and holds it up against the light.

'The biggest,' she smiles, without a hint of nerves. You knew she loved your brother, and you couldn't be happier that the two would be married later today. 'Too shimmery, don't you think?' She comments, indicating towards the nail varnish bottle.

'Hmm, I think so,' you reply, scanning the remaining tones on the table. Clipping the last section of her hair back, you point to a deep red colour. 'How about that one?'

Amy grabs the bottle, and holds it up to the light, and then her dress, and then her hair.

'Does it clash? You know, the whole red hair, red nails?'

'No, it looks wonderful.'

'Well, red it is then,'

She replied with a little less enthusiasm than you would have hoped. As you begin to wrap her hair delicately around the barrel of the curling wand, you watch her face sort of drop. You open your mouth to speak, but she beats you to it.

'[Y/N], do you ever feel like everything is a bit... off?'

'In what way?' you reply, letting the burnt orange curl fall off the curler and into your hand. As she replies, you place the twist into a clip to help it retain its shape.

'I don't know. It's probably nothing,' Amy dismisses.

'It doesn't seem like nothing,' you reply as the bride swipes the paint across her nails.

'It just feels wrong, you know? Like something's missing. Did we forget anything?'

Like the organised bridesmaid you are, you pull the checklist Amy had created from your pocket. Looking down the list, you mentally tick things off.

'Ooh, did you add the extra meal for Molly's date?'

'I think Rory took care of it,' she replies, a little apprehensively. You wrap her hair around the wand again, and feel her left leg begin to bounce up and down anxiously.