VI - Double Trouble

Almost as quickly as you'd arrived at Prince's Bliss, night fell over the hotel. The day had been filled with laughter, excitement and what you thought was some well deserved rest. It may have felt chaotic at the time, but life without the responsibility of adulting was something you missed.

Sat beside the pool with the Doctor. Amy and Rory had long since gone up to their room, after  insisting that now they're married they should probably have their own room- much to the Doctor's disgust. They'd gone up about half an hour ago, and you and the Doctor simply stayed put in the places you were when they left.

'Doctor?' you ask, breaking the silence.

'Yes?'

'Why?' you ask, a little cryptically.

He shuffles up a bit, turning to face you a little more, leaning on his elbow. 'Why what?'

'Why me, Doctor?' you ask. 'I wasn't the only person at that wedding with travel potential. Like- ooh! Our cousin Lucy,'

Your enthusiasm drips through your speech as you feel yourself begin to witter.

'Your cousin Lucy, simply isn't you,' the Doctor replies.

'She'd probably be a little better than me at the whole space adventure-y stuff like Amy described.'

'That's besides the point. You've got that... thing about you,'

'Sorry, what 'thing'?'

'Well, I don't know.' he smiles. 'Put it this way, I wouldn't have let you get this far if I didn't think you were capable,'

He offers you a small smile and stands quickly. 'I'll see you upstairs, [Y/N].'

'No, you won't,' you reply, repeating his actions and standing. 'I'll come with you,'

'Very well,' he smiles happily.

The two of you leave the room, and enter the foyer again. As you turn together towards the stairs on your right, the room where the robot scanners had disappeared off to earlier let out a noise. It wasn't one you recognised, but the look on the Doctor's face told you everything you needed to know.

'How is this even possible,' he mutters under his breath.

'What is it?'

'In that room. It's me.'

You follow the gaze on his face across the room. 'Doctor- how can that even work? You can't be in that room, you're stood here,'

'I know, but it is.' he replies, his gaze still fixed on the doorway. 'I've not heard anyone say 'Allons-y!' like that since I went to France in the middle of the revolution,'

The Doctor begins to wander over towards the door, but you grab his arm quickly and attempt to guide him backwards. He shoots you a short glare before shaking his arm free. Using his remaining hand to grab yours lightly, he drags you slowly towards the doorway.

'Come on. I think there's someone you need to meet,'

[-]

What you saw when the door to the room opened was something you never expected to see outside of photos. Sure enough, the hotel room was littered with men lying flat- some on the bed, and others on the floor because there simply wasn't enough room for them. There were ten men all together, two stood upright, and the rest lying limply. The two that were stood- one wielding a dark leather jacket and the other showing off a pinstriped suit and a pair of converse- were analysing the scanning robots you had seen earlier in the day. When they heard your footsteps coming in, they both looked up.

'Oh, this can't be right,' the Doctor says, edging a little closer towards the pair.  Both of the men eyed him curiously, and then each other, as if they were finally registering each other for the first time.

'Umm, Doctor?' you ask.

'Yes?' All three of the men reply, and then exchange a look of disbelief.

'Oh, you're not,' The one in the leather says to the other two.

'We are,' they replied, with the same look of disbelief still plastered over their faces.

'Erm, Doctor?' you roll your weight up onto your toes and whisper closer to his ear. 'What on earth is going on?'

'Well, [Y/N],' he replies slowly. 'I'd like you to meet... me,'

The other two men smile and wave a little sheepishly.

'Oh, you're not,' you repeat.

'We are,' All three replied.

'How can you all be the same person? You're all so... different,'

'Not really. That's sort of why we're all here,' the one in the leather says. 'Because we're all the same,'

'Hold on,' your Doctor says. 'Do you two know something we don't?'

'Do we know something you don't? Do we know something you don't?' the one in the pinstripe mutters under his breath. 'Of course we know something you don't! We've been scanning this drone for however long and you wander in thinking we wouldn't know more than you two? I-'

'Right!' you say, taking control of the three of them. They all look at you a little shocked. 'You three need to keep your voices down. We're in a hotel with other people who are trying to sleep. Now, I'm guessing- since you're being so cryptic- that you don't want anyone to know what you're rambling on about. Now Doctor?'

'Yes?' they all reply.

'Not you two, my Doctor,' you say snidely, turning back to him. 'I want you to explain to me why there are 10 other versions of you in this room and where they came from.' you finish, beginning to sound a little overwhelmed.

'Come on,' he says, coursing his arm around your shoulder and guiding you through the door. I'll explain everything I know.'

You nod, still a little breathless from your outburst. You step outside of the door, and the Doctor trails behind.

'She's good,' the one in the pinstripes mutters to your Doctor as he leaves.

'I know,' he replies, before following you out down the corridor and back into the foyer.