prologue / the coffee shop

january, 1941 

today was a day you'd been looking forward to for a majority of your young adult life but its funny how quickly priorities can change. 

as the warm air escapes your mouth, you stare at your hands bewildered at the new power which has found its home within you. you can't seem to remember where it has come from, or whether it was always there to begin with, but you know your life from hereon out will forever change. 

the bell attached to the door announces you as you enter your favourite coffee shop, "just the usual for you today, y/n?"

you'd been coming here for almost a year now and become quite good friends with the barista, tommy. maybe that's a slight understatement, tommy was your only friend. "yes please! and do you have a copy of today's newspaper by any chance?!"

tommy smiles, he already knows what today is for you as he slides the newspaper over the counter, "I'm so proud of you, you know?"

you find your knees slightly collapse in excitement as you grab the newspaper from him, "I can't believe it, I finally did it tommy!"

"you did!" he agrees proudly while starting on your order, "now go take a seat and read your article before you collapse on my floor! I'll call you when your coffee is ready, okay?"

you nod, staring eagerly at the paper in your hands. tommy has a habit of ending his sentences as questions, but you don't mind. you actually thought it was rather cute.

without another thought and with an immense lack of awareness of your surroundings, you swiftly trip over your own two feet and fall right into the arms of a stranger.

fuck.

"well, hello there" says the voice of the man who caught you.

you become flustered. only you would embarrass yourself like this in public. 

"sorry! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you -" the end of your sentence escapes you as you look up at the stranger whose bright blue eyes are glistening back at you. 

"y/n! you alright?!" inquires tommy, looking over the counter while trying to hold in a laugh.

"just being my usual clumsy self!" you answer while laughing to mask the embarrassment.

bucky tilts his head at you playfully, his eyes fixated on you as he helps you to your feet.

"I'm james buchanan barnes, but you can call me bucky," he introduces himself with a smile.

did he just use his full name to introduce himself?

"well, thank you for catching me james buchanan barnes... and while bucky is a cute nickname, I think I'll stick with calling you james," you respond with a soft sense of sarcasm.

he raises an eyebrow. his friends usually opt for buck and everyone else calls him bucky, but there's something about you. 

"oh, will you?" he asks flirtatiously, running his fingers through his hair.

"I'm sure you'll get used to it. plus, this way you won't forget me so easily," you say with a slight smirk across your face. 

wait, no. you want him to forget you. why would you say that?!

bucky reaches down and picks up your newspaper, handing it out to you,"I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon... and I believe this is yours."

you nod and take the newspaper from him, your hands accidentally touching for just a moment, "it is, thank you and I am really sorry for bumping into you!"

"don't worry, I'm bumped into by beautiful ladies reading the newspaper all time!" he laughs teasingly. 

"for your information, I was reading my own article! it's my first time being published! so please do forgive me for being just a little bit too excited..." you attempt to explain while laughing with him. 

his expression adjusts slightly. he almost looks proud of you... a complete stranger. 

"I'll be sure to grab a copy then," he declares with a smile.

tommy finishes your order and hesitates before interrupting you and bucky. you were his only friend after all and he's never seen you have so much as a conversation with anyone, let alone a flirtatious one. 

he waits momentarily before sliding your coffee across the counter, "y/n! your order is ready."

you carefully walk past bucky, putting the newspaper safely into your bag and dropping a tip in to the jar as a thank you, "you're the best tommy, thank you! have a good day!"

you can't tell him it's goodbye, he would make a big deal about it or try to convince you out of it and honestly, you aren't one for tears or hugs either.

"wait!" bucky yells after you noticing your hand reach for the door.

you turn around and meet his gaze. he was beautiful. you could literally spend the whole day just looking at him and you wouldn't get bored. 

"will I see you here again soon?" he asks hopefully.

he won't but you smile nonetheless avoiding his question. now there's a second person who doesn't know that this is the last time you'll ever step foot into this coffee shop. 

"it was lovely to meet you," you say reassuringly, holding your hand out for his to shake. 

"the pleasure was all mine y/n, although you may want to be more careful on your feet," he teases while leaning in and planting a kiss on your hand.

that was hot. your nerves begin to set in. it was time to leave.

you nervously put your hand in your pocket and smile, "I'll see you around james. and hey, don't forget to grab a copy of the paper!" 

as you leave the coffee shop, bucky turns his attention to steve who has been unknowingly immersed in your article. 

"steve! did you see that!?" asks bucky with a grin stretched from ear to ear.

steve looks up at bucky, annoyed at the interruption, "see what?"

"I think I just met the love of my life!" proclaims bucky as tommy laughs quietly to himself.

steve playfully rolls his eyes and turns his attention back to the newspaper. 

"of course you did, buck," he mumbles.