two / a memory

chapter two.

as you clean what remains of today's mission from your body, bucky finds his mind perplexed with wonder. he is sure he knows you and as of late, he hasn't been sure of much at all. 

it doesn't take long before what feels like a meteorite crash lands into his mind.

he remembers.

the touch of your lips, the smell of your skin, the way that you fought both on the field and in the bedroom.

he loved you. he loves you? he never loved anyone the way he loved you. 

as the flashbacks take control of his mind to a time long ago, the room suddenly goes dark.

he remembers. 

your death, the torture, the knife, your screams, the blood, HYDRA.

bucky's eyes shoot open as he mutters your name, "y/n...."

the overwhelming sense of guilt and confusion begins to trap him. is his mind playing tricks? what's real? what's fake?

"steve!' he screams almost helplessly.

steve immediately knows something is wrong and races into the room to comfort his best friend, "what is it? are you okay?!" 

bucky is adamant for answers, "y/n... how do you know her?"

steve's confusion is hard to mask, he raises an eyebrow, "we needed help, she's a friend of natasha's."

bucky shakes his head and presses steve further, "okay, well how does nat know her? tell me."

"buck, what's going on?" he counters. 

"I know her" insists bucky, "she should be dead..."

"what?" steve worryingly looks at his best friend, "buck... we are over 100 years old, it's not possible. you know it's not possible."

bucky's nightmares have been increasingly worse over the last few weeks, his memory shattered because of what HYDRA did to him.  

he's started to confuse even the simplest of details and steve fears this is one of those times.

bucky whispers under his breath, "I remember something steve, I do."

steve sighs while still trying to understand what's going on, "let's just talk to y/n, okay buck? she's gifted and right now, we need all the help we can get."

he's right. the avengers called on you as a means of necessity. they need the firepower. they need you.

bucky reluctantly joins steve in walking towards the kitchen before stopping momentarily in his tracks, "wait. gifted how?!"