one / a familiar face

chapter one.

when you woke up this morning you had no idea that your life would never be the same by the time the sun sets, but as you walk into the avengers compound with steve rogers, you feel an energy shift. you can't quite pinpoint what the danger is but you allow the thought to pass.

"I had them, you know?!" steve says jokingly.

you playfully push his shoulder in response, "what do you mean you had them?! you needed me, you absolute liar!" 

both your laughs erupt through the compound. neither of you have met before but it seems as though he has already taken on the role of an annoying brother.

"you know I'm kidding.... now go clean up agent y/n, dinner is on us!" he responds.

you jokingly roll your eyes, "yeah yeah yeah.. you're welcome by the way, steve!" 

steve smiles. you can see why the world adores him, after all it only took one phone call and you came to help. if natasha trusted him, if the world trusted him, why shouldn't you?

he pivots towards his room and quickly reminds you, "bathroom is to the left!"

as you continue walking down the hallway you lock eyes with a familiar face. you've heard about him before, the infamous winter solider. the man responsible for the most assassinations in HYDRA history, a history you know all too well.

you nod in his direction to acknowledge his presence, "sergeant barnes."

his eyes carefully follow you as you walk past him.

'agent y/n, was it? do I know you from somewhere?" he asks unable to hide his curiosity.

you feel it too but how could that be possible? you've seen photos, heard the stories, even done your own research but suddenly now that you're in his presence... you feel something.

you continue to walk towards the bathroom and raise your voice slightly for him to hear without turning around, "I assure you sergeant barnes, if we knew each other, we would know!"

to say these would become your famous last words would be an understatement.