Trust

King couldn't believe what he had just discovered. Several emotions and thoughts were swirling around his head, at the fact that his captain, his friend, one of the only people he trusted the most...

was a Demon.

He noticed it 10 years ago when Ban tried to take his sword. The dark aura that surrounded him, the flames of purgatory. He paid no mind to it at the time, but then he went berserk at Veizel. The dark markings covering his body, the empty onyx eyes, the suffocating aura. King became more suspicious, he had talked to Ban about it but the immortal refused to believe it. Although that seems to change during the battle with Hendrickson at the capital. What was that Hendrickson said? "From one demon to another"? Then came the Ten Commandments, and they all seemed to know his captain. How though? They had been sealed for 3,000 years...

There was only one explanation, and Meliodas pretty much confirmed his suspicions. 

"King." 

The Fairy King turned around to see the man he had been thinking about, hands in his pockets and a blank expression on his face. He really wished he knew what he was thinking, being able to read hearts would be helpful right now.

"What do you want Meliodas?"

Meliodas noticed the use of his real name instead of his title, but remained nonchalant.

"Just wanted to see how you're doing is all."

"Oh yeah?"

"Of course, you're my friend after all."

King remained silent and look away, Meliodas sighed at this. The fairy was most likely questioning their friendship.

"Look, I get that you don't trust me right now. But I really mean no harm to you or anyone else. I may be a demon but-"

"That's not the only reason."

Melioads looked at him in confusion as he lowered himself to the ground. 

"What do you mean?"

King glared at him, but there was no hatred in his eyes. Only anger and...hurt?

"Why?"

King clenched his fists.

"Why didn't you tell us?"

Meliodas blinked in surprise but didn't answer, he reminded silent, inquiring King to continue.

"Why did you never tell us about your race? Or the Ten Commandments?! You've been keeping this secret for years! You never even told us about that broken blade of yours, which was apparently the key to the seal!"

King began to shake in anger while Meliodas frowned, he never told them about his race for obvious reasons, but the other things...yeah, maybe he shouldn't have waited so long to tell them.

"I almost lost my kingdom, my home, my people, for a second time! That Albion almost destroyed it, I was barley able to beat it! Did you ever once think that if you told us we could've helped you protect the key?! We could've prepared, we could've gotten stronger! The whole reason the Seven Deadly Sins were gathered was to stop the Ten Commandments wasn't it?! So why?! Why didn't you say anything?!"

King paused waiting for an answer, but he got none. Meliodas only looked to the ground, silently.

"We've respected your privacy for so long, we never asked questions..."

Meliodas looked up when he noticed King's voice got quieter. He had stopped shaking and was looking at the ground.

"We barley know anything about you, even though your our close friend. I'm tired, tired of the secrets, of the unknown. It feels as if..."

He shut his eyes tightly, clenching his teeth.

"It feels as if you don't trust us. That you don't trust me..."

Melioads was surprised and guilty, though he didn't show it. He wasn't aware he had felt that way, nor did he mean for it to seem like he didn't trust them. Looking back though, King wasn't wrong at all. His trust issues had prevented him from being open and honest with the important people in his life, and it ended up hurting all of them in the end. The more he thought back, the more he realized his mistake, and the guilt welled up within him.

"King..."

King turned around and floated in the other direction.

"Whatever, I'm done here."

"King wait, I know I have a lot of secrets, but I never meant to make you feel that way. I'll..I'll explain everything to you soon. I promise."

King stood for a couple of seconds and Meliodas waited for his answer. After what seemed like hours, he finally responded.

"Okay."