ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

2 June 2005
Approximately 9:06 A.M.
Tokyo, Japan

In just a few weeks, the four of you, Geto, Gojo, Ieiri, and yourself had made it to be Grade 1 sorcerers. Ieiri branched off to use her reversal technique to help a massive attack and was currently overseas in North Korea. Gojo also was gone on his own mission on the other side of the island of Japan, on the south side of Kagoshima. This left only you and Geto at the school.

Currently, the two of you were on a short break, Yaga attending an important meeting in another room. Geto was relaxed on the couch, arms over the back of it, head tilted over the back, cigarette hanging from his lips. You were seated in a chair across from him, reading through a small book. Right now, you were awaiting a debriefing for a newly assigned mission.

Geto raised his head, moving the cigarette away, and blew the smoke into the air. His eyes fell upon you. His gaze slid across the title of the book, or rather the manga, in your hands, and he rolled his eyes. He dropped his head over the edge again.

“You keep reading the same volume of Naruto over and over again,” He spoke, making you look up.

“It’s the only one I have,” You replied, flipping the page.

“Buy another,” He said.

“The manga store here is sold out of them,” You said, closing the manga, placing it behind you. “And you don’t have much room to talk. You’ve smoke three cigarettes while we’ve been sitting here.”

“And? Would you like one?” He asked, rolling his wrist in a sarcastic manner, still not raising his head. You grinned.

“Yaga-sensei’s coming.”

Geto shot up, waving his hand in front of him to disperse the smoke as he blew it out, digging the butt end of the cigarette into the ashtray before dumping it in the trash. He sat up straight, looking to the door. He waited for a few moments before his eyes narrowed, and he turned to your silently snickering form.

“That was not cool, Y/n. I just lit that,” He muttered, falling back on the couch. You laughed and stood up.

“It’ll teach you not to smoke so much, you nicotine addict,” You hummed, walking towards the door. You peered through the glass and sighed. “Doesn’t look like it’s gonna end anytime soon. Want to do something else while we wait?”

“Like what? It’s not like we can leave the school,” He said. “We have to wait on orders from Yaga.”

“Well, let’s play a card game or truth or dare or something,” You said, flopping on the couch beside him. “I’m bored. And you’re bullying me for reading my manga.”

“I wouldn’t bully you if you got a new obsession other than Uchiha Sasuke,” He replied.

“You think that’s who I’m obsessing over? Oh, Sugar, you got it all wrong,”

“Then who?” He asked.

“Obviously the best character in the whole manga-slash-anime,” You said proudly, crossing your arms over your chest. “Nara Shikamaru.”

“Shikamaru? Seriously?”

“What’s wrong with Shikamaru!? He’s smart as hell, and hot too!” You defended.

“I for sure thought you would have gone after Kakashi,”

“Ew, hell no. Cat-eyes is basically just a knock-off version of him,” You said, making Geto laugh.

“Alright, you two, fun and games are over,” The door opened, revealing your teacher. Both of you straightened up, turning to face him expectantly. “There was some debate, but since we’re low on sorcerers, the both of you are going to take on a Special Grade 1 mission. You’ll be debriefed in the car, you need to hurry.”

“Yessir.”

You and Geto stood, already dressed and ready to go. You walked out together, the chains from your pockets rattling with your movements. You jogged down the stairs after Geto, to where the manager was holding open the car door for the both of you. Geto allowed you to go in first before slipping in after you.

“Where are we headed?” You asked once everyone was settled and the car began to move.

“Nikko,” The driver replied.

“Nikko?” You and Geto echoed.

“There’s been such a spike in activity that it’s flared over our radars. Our informants there have sent in a reward for whoever can find the cause and solve it,” He said.

“A reward?”

“100 thousand yen.”

“100 thou--!” You and Geto exchanged a wide-eyed glance. “Just how bad is this curse?”

“Apparently it’s been terrorizing the city, especially high school students,” The manager, who you learned was named Yasuo.

“Could be a vengeful curse,” Geto muttered. “Any news about recent deaths around the school?”

“A boy I was in class with killed himself,” You said suddenly, remembering how shocked you were when Kiana had called you to tell you. “He jumped off the roof of the building during school. Kiana said everyone by the window saw it happen, including her. He was a quiet kid, and if I can remember correctly, he was bullied too.”

“Sounds like his soul was cursed from the act of suicide, and formed into a cursed spirit. From there, it was most likely attached to the school,” Geto said. “Can we get access to his files? I want to see how the kids who could have been bullying him are.”

“There’s no need for that. I could tell you off the top of my head,” You replied. “Fujimori Koji, Uyeno Yu, and Usei Takedeshi. They were the bullies in the school; they picked on everyone.”

“Then they’re probably going to be hunted down. We should head to their residences first.”

“No,” You said, glancing at the clock in the car. “School’s already started. They’ll be there, no doubt, warranting another attack.”

“Then we’ll head there.” Geto nodded.

“We don’t have very much time. Please, speed up.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Is there something bothering you, Y/n?” Geto asked, taking note of the frown on your lips.

“I’m just...worried is all,” You replied, shaking your head. You relaxed against the seats, arms folded over your chest as you stared out the window. “I haven’t been back to Nikko since I came to Tokyo.”

“Did you not want to return?” Geto asked.

You turned your head towards the window, hiding it away from Geto’s line of view. Your eyebrows furrowed together, the grip on your arm tightening slowly.

“Ira-Sensei!”

“Get down!”

“Hands where we can see them!”

“Stop it!”

“Fire at will!”

“No!”

“No,” You muttered, eyes darkening at the familiar scenery. “I didn’t.”