chapter one

. · 。. · ゜✭

✫  ·  ゜· 。

✫  ·  ゜· 。.

01. i'm sorry for your loss

"HEY MOM, HEY DAD, IT'S ANNIE." She spoke into her phone, running a hand through her messy hair. She felt as if the bags beneath her eyes were going to droop even further due to her lack of sleep. "Uh, I'm sorry to be calling so late.. I'm just checking in. Making sure everything's okay." She hesitated, worry seeping into her veins. She sighed tiredly, exhaustion beginning to creep upon her. "I got kind of a scary email from Jessie, and she hasn't been responding. Surprise, surprise."

Annie didn't want to disturb her parents with this nonsense, simply worried about her sibling's well-being, but she had a suspicion that this was serious and something bad was happening. Although, it could simply be her anxiety speaking.

"Uh, yeah, well, it sounds like you guys have been fighting or something happened." She continued, wiping her bleary eyes. "Anyway, I just got a little worried. So, um, if you can call when you can, and of course, you know I'm... I'm always here if you need anything, of course."

She swallowed thickly, pinching a strand of hair that fell from her messy bun between her fingers. "Okay, um, I love you. Alright, bye." She hung up the phone and stared at the doorway of her room for a bit. She had a very bad feeling, one that was beginning to consume her.

She sat back down, staring at the screen of her laptop with concern, rereading the messages as if trying to decipher the meaning behind them. Her sister left the ominous message of: "i can't anymore - everything's black - mom and dad are coming too. goodbye". Her fear was surely justified.

She pressed her tongue to the inside of her cheek, skimming over the messages repeatedly. The goodbye stood out the most to her, so she decided to call the person she relied on most ━ the one whose put up with her crazy family: Erik.

She sniffles and wiped the sleeve of her sweater against her snotty nose, unlocking her phone and scrolling through her contacts before her eyes land on Erik's. Her finger lingered in front of the screen, truly debating if she should call him. She always felt as if she overwhelmed him.

She slammed her phone against her desk, fumbling with her fingers. She sat there silently, tears threatening to empty from her eyes. She ended up giving into her urges and called him, pressing the screen to her ear and spinning around in her chair.

She waited a moment, her heart pounding with anxiousness. Finally, she heard his voice on the other end and felt a weight lifted from her shoulders.