chapter six

. · 。. · ゜✭

✫  ·  ゜· 。

✫  ·  ゜· 。.

06. calmness

ANNIE SHUT HER EYES, SITTING ON THE GROUND. She found peace in the way the air would blow kisses against her cheeks, and therefore cause the grass to scratch at her ankles. She did like her therapist instructed. Breathe in, and then out. After her conversation with Charles, she wanted to allow her feelings to settle in. She wanted to confirm that these emotions she felt were true, that she did indeed have romantic feelings for Charles.

Interrupting the silence was Erik as he approached where she sat, attempting to be as quiet as possible. "Hey, Anne." He greeted once he reached her. "How are you doing?" She opened her eyes and narrowed them at the pieces of grass at her feet. "Today was tough." He reached down, rubbing her shoulder to be comforting. "Are you gonna be okay?" He asked.

Her brown hair was let down and brushed out, though it still remained messy. She turned her head toward him, a realization in her eyes. Her eyebrows drew close together. "Are you not disturbed by what we just saw?" She questioned.

"Yeah, of course I am." Erik persisted, pulling away from her touch. He seemed to emphasize his feelings to convince her that he was disturbed. "That was really, really shocking." His voice sounded like one of those dramatized cartoons, as if he didn't mean it. "I'm trying to keep an open mind, though." Her mouth fell open at his confession. "That's cultural, you know? We stick our elders in nursing homes. I'm sure they find that disturbing."

She scoffed, turning away from him to gaze at the distance, the sun beginning to fall. "We stick our elders in nursing homes, so they can get the help that we can't provide." She mumbled in disgust of Erik. He didn't truly believe that, did he?

"Well, I think we really need to at least try to acclimate." He continued, and she shrugged her shoulders as she pushed herself from the ground. Her legs had begun to numb from her lack of movement, so her movements were slightly wobbly at first.

"Alright, Erik.. It's just not something I'm used to..." She trailed off, excusing her behavior.

"Which is why we need to adapt to it." He emphasized and looped their arms. "This is all strange, but it's cultural, baby."

▁▁▁

ANNIE ENTERED THE LOFT THAT THEY SLEPT IN. She saw her boyfriend stripping from his jeans as he readied himself for sleep. She spared him a glance and instead approached Hank, who had his phone in hand. She tapped on his shoulder gently to get his attention, and he looked at her, pushing his glasses up a bit while flashing her a boyish smile. "Uh, hey, Annie." He greeted the woman, tugging his headphones off. "Do you need something?"