chapter five

. · 。. · ゜✭

✫  ·  ゜· 。

✫  ·  ゜· 。.

05. who is home to you

WHEN THEY WERE GETTING READY FOR BED, THE WORD ATTESTUPA HAD COME UP. No one in their group besides Hank and Charles knew what it was, yet neither of them would budge when asked about what it was, keeping their lips tightly closed about the subject. And when Annie questioned if it was scary, Hank only flashed her a sickeningly amused smile before pulling his blanket up to his chin.

Annie was barely able to get enough sleep due to the obnoxious sobbing of a baby that wouldn't stop, and eventually, awoke in the night. She propped herself up to look at the drawings on the wall, examining the artwork through bleary eyes. The drawing pictured a woman or man ( she really couldn't distinguish the gender of the person ) stabbing a dagger into their arm, drawing a copious amount of blood, between two plants, and on their side, was two other people, who looked identical to them. Above the people, was a yellow sun with a smiling face.

She felt her skin crawl, and eyebrows furrow. Annie burrowed back into her blankets, shutting her eyes tightly to try and get some sleep, attempting to ignore the sensation of being watched by the people depicted on the walls.

The next day in the afternoon, she walked into the open to watch a woman sing while leading a group in dance. Or it was something of the sort. Her hand was soon grabbed by Charles in a delicate manner that caused her heart to beat just a bit faster, and the telepath-like man lead her toward a pair of tables where many people were gathering. Noticing her confused expression, he elaborated, "Our feast before..." He didn't finish his statement, and Annie could easily fill in the blanks.

At the table, she stood between Charles and Erik, people who were polar opposites. She glanced at the plate of unfamiliar food, the corner of her lip pulled upward. She wasn't a picky eater, but there was something in her gut that made her cautious of it. With one glance toward Charles, all those feelings were swept under the rug and forgotten. One smile that could melt her heart made her think differently.

"Somebody should tell those girls they're walking stupid." Logan mentioned, gesturing to two young girls walking passed them. His comment made Annie frown. They were children, not candy for him to eye. He made her severely uncomfortable sometimes.

Annie dismissed herself from the table to pick some of the wildflowers like the girls from earlier. They were a vibrant orange color that she liked. She plucked them from the ground, picking only two. One for Erik, and the other for Charles.