Love Potion- Prompt 2

Christmas lights twinkle joyfully as my heart thumps loudly.

I should've known she would do something as insane as this, on Christmas Eve of all days.

I've heard stories about Witch Assassins'. However, I never believed them. It sounded impossible.

Nonetheless, here I am, faced with a night from hell.

"Will you marry me, the enchantress of my heart?" the guy to my left says, kneeling before me.

He's the third guy to propose tonight. It's getting absurd.

Who gets proposed to so many times in one night?

When Jacob proposed, I was suspicious since no one does that on a first date. Initially, I thought it was a terrible joke. However, the seriousness in his eyes had quickly dissuaded me of that notion.

After the second offer, I realized that there was more than meets the eye, that there might be something witchy happening. However, now I understand what's going on.

The witch used a love potion on them. She must have poured it in the soup or something else I didn't eat.

Why couldn't she just be conservative and use a poisoned apple? It would've been far quicker and much less embarrassing.

"No, she will wed me!" the fourth guy exclaims, knocking the previous one aside.

"Marry me!" he exclaims, addressing me.

I know I have to escape since they are bound to tear me apart in their sick desire to be with me. There is a reason the Love potion is forbidden in all the realms.

If exposed to vast amounts of it, the person becomes obsessed. They are prepared to do everything and anything in their power to obtain what they desire. And unfortunately for me, I am the object of their affection.

I move quickly away from my suitors, but I am not fast enough as a grabby hand locks itself on my elbow, holding me in a deadly grip.

"No, she is coming with me," a voice says.

"Marry me. You're the woman of my dreams," he adds.

"You guys are great, but I have to say 'no' to all of you," I say sweetly.

Next, I proceed to throw the guy off me with one fluid movement.

He hits the ground hard, but I don't have the time to worry about that as the others are coming towards me like lovesick zombies.

My long red hair swishes back and forth as I snap my head left and right, looking for an escape route. Anything that'll allow me to flee from the suffocating love they have to offer.

Finally, I notice the open window on the other end of the restaurant.

I run for it without a second thought.

"Wait. I know I am the one you love. Stay with me," Jacob says with that goofy smile that the Love potion inevitably creates.

"Nope," I say, dashing even faster towards my freedom.

All I ever wanted was to have a pleasant evening out, some drinking, dancing. Even kissing was on my agenda if things went well. But being proposed to five times by five different guys is definitely not my idea of fun.

I smash through the window.

Plummeting towards the ground, I transform into my true self, my feathers shimmering red in the setting sun as my magnificent tail unfurrows behind me.

I'm the Phoenix.

I'm unstoppable.