Window to Soul

I could always see someone's soul through their eyes, but this time, something is off. I can't see this guy's soul but something different. I can catch a glimpse of an unusual rock formation that seems to be all there is in his eyes.

To say that I am shocked would be an understatement because no matter how odd some people find my powers to be, I have become very accustomed to them. Furthermore, I have been relying on them more than I was aware. It became crystal clear this one time when I could see nothing but human-sized oddly shaped rocks. So, I start panicking.

"Is everything okay?" he asks me swiftly.

"Yes, of course, I was just trying to decide on what to choose for dinner," I say, trying to sound as normal as possible, lowering my gaze on the menu before me.

After all, it is only our first date, and he doesn't have to know how weird I am. Although judging by those sharp rocks protruding from his eyes instead of his soul, he might be even stranger than me.

"I recommend the oysters," he says, trying to sound seductive.

I am well aware that they are considered aphrodisiacs and that the guy might be trying to flirt with me, but I don't find his comment pleasant in the slightest. As a matter of fact, nothing about him strikes me as particularly agreeable.

The best I can describe it, it's like looking at a pretty surface and being unable to see anything past it. It's unnerving, to say the least. However, it's not a good enough reason to ditch the guy.

He has been nothing but kind to me, a true gentleman. Since the moment I arrived, he did everything right, but maybe that's one of the things I find unsettling.

It's like he has done this before, many times. It seems like a well-practiced act that he grew so accustomed to that it became a second skin. Whether that is because he has been on many dates before or for some other unfathomable reasons, I can't say for sure.

"You have such beautiful eyes," he says charmingly the moment I raise my eyes from the menu.

He even manages to make it seem as if that is just something that slipped out, a truth he didn't mean to share. Still, I don't feel it. There doesn't seem to be honesty behind his words, but I have no proof. I guess I have relied on my powers for far too long, and my regular human instincts are a bit rusty. But even though that's true, the wrongness of this whole evening doesn't let me relax.

"Thank you," I say as modestly as I can, feeling forced into playing the role of an oblivious date until I can figure out what's wrong with him.

The evening passes with us chatting about random, unimportant things, and I am already starting to think that I have imagined everything. I even contemplate that my inability to 'read' Jack is what prompted my overactive imagination to fill in the blanks.

"Can I drive you home?" he asks as he helps me put on my coat.

Going against my every instinct that tells me to run away as far as I can, I decide to try having faith. My friend Vera always says my unique abilities have made me devoid of any faith.

"Yes, that would be lovely, thank you," I say, barely stopping my voice from shaking.

The moment the words leave my mouth, I know it's a mistake. Every inch of my body screams at me, but I don't want to create an awkward situation, so I decide to follow through.

Before I step through the car door that he opens for me, I look into his eyes one last time, hoping I will see something else. However, I still see the odd-looking rocks. But, this time, something is different. It's like I can see more to them. For a second, I can swear that I see them moving.

That one short flicker ends up saving my life because it forces me to look even deeper to go beyond my preconceived notion of what they are. Then I see them, truly see them.

Oh, my God, do I see them! It's the most horrifying thing I have ever seen, and I have seen some awful things in people's souls. This is different.

I couldn't see his soul because he doesn't have one. All that resides in his eyes are the rocks, the fossilized souls of those poor creatures whose souls he has devoured. And there are hundreds of them, thousands, and that's only as far as I can see. Who knows how many more are there?

"Is everything alright?" he asks while a flicker of hunger clouds everything else in his eyes.

A naiver girl would have mistaken that look for one of lust, but I have seen too much to be that girl. I know that the only thing he possesses is the hunger for my soul, although I don't know what kind of demon or human he is.

"As a matter of fact, no. I forgot that I told my friend to meet me here," I quickly lie, looking around for anyone who can save me.

"I am sure that she will understand if you end up otherwise engaged," he says suggestively.

"I am sure she would, but I like to keep my promises," I start stumbling for words. "Oh, there she is now."

I point in the direction of an unfamiliar woman about my age, hoping beyond hope that he will fall for that old trick.

"Jessica, it's good to see you," I tell the woman as I hug her.

"I need your help. Please, play along," I whisper while hugging the woman.

"You too," the woman says, catching on quickly as I pull my arm through hers.

"Thank you for a lovely evening," I tell the monster who is still staring at me hungrily.

After quickly judging the situation, he seems to think better of it. The last thing someone like him, a killer, needs is to attract attention.

"Thank you," he says, bowing excessively and entering his car.

Only when he drives off do I release a sigh of relief and take my savior for a cup of coffee to thank her for literally saving my life.