VII

CHAPTER SEVENJUNKYARD JEEBIES( episode 5: dig dug cont

CHAPTER SEVEN
JUNKYARD JEEBIES
( episode 5: dig dug cont. / episode 6: the spy )

'We're screwed,' Dustin Henderson whines. 'Totally, inexplicably screwed.'

'Will you shut up for a minute, Henderson?' Steve grabbles.

The kid turns to him, nose flared and hat slanted sideways over his ringlets. 'Did you not see what happened down there? That thing dug a tunnel under Hawkins!'

'Yeah, we know,' Violet snaps. 'We saw it. For the third time. We saw what you saw.'

'God, shit!' he whines. 'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!'

It had been twenty gruelling minutes of being stuck by a highway house in the dead of night with a whinging pre-teen incapable of calming down. Dustin paced back and forth under his driveway porch, gnawing at a finger as he mumbled incoherent chatter and curse words to himself. For a kid his size, his brain must weigh him down like a bowling ball at the best of times, Violet thinks. The inside of the kids brain might actually be a bowling alley. Nothing but thoughts falling over each other like clattering pins.

The air was crawling down the temperature scale by the minute now. Violet shoves her hands as deep as they could go into her corduroy jacket pockets, the back of her knees bouncing feverishly against Steve's car bonnet.

Steve was drifting in and out of the conversation, slashing his bat through the air like a golf club as he pondered.

Oddly enough, seeing him so distinctly calm about this situation was the most prodding urge Violet had toward wanting to believe this whole story. Any time she'd bared witness to him and a minor inconvenience, even on their drive out here, he was causing a scene by aggressively retailing. Come to a supposed giant lizard crawling around beneath their feet, and he was relatively patient waiting out Dustin to come to his senses.

'So, what's the plan?' Violet asks them, folding frigid arms across her chest.

'We're screwed, that's the plan.'