XI

CHAPTER ELEVENTHE UPSIDE DOWN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
THE UPSIDE DOWN

( episode 9: the gate cont. )

'Violet...? ...Violet...?'

'Just shake her awake.'

'I'm not gonna shake her!'

Violet feels as though she'd been buried alive and hauled back up through the mounds of dirt laid over her. Something incoherent bubbles at her mouth, scratching around in that through wound tightly closed from lack of use. She twitches her fingertips, dormant air sitting in her lungs.

And the pain.

'Ohhh my god,' she grumbles groggily.

'Heyyy Vi,' somebody coaxes to her. The voice is annoyingly cheerful. Dustin Henderson.

'No, no, no, don't try and sit forward, just keep your head back.'

It rises and rises like a crescendo the more her vision aligns from blurring lights to surfaces with lines. Her head throbs with it; splitting, pulsing pain. It's dried with something cakey. She brings a numb hand to it. Everything around her is jolting funny; bouncing her up and down in the space she was uncomfortably curled up against. She hears a liquid sloshing around a can. She sniffs painfully. Gasoline.

'What's going on?' she mumbles. 'Where are we?'

'It's all okay.'

'Where is everyone?'

'Everyone's fine. They're still going through with the plan.'

The plan. Violet's mind trails back to the conversations in the Byers' kitchen that she can't recall in this state. Her legs start to twitch.