V

CHAPTER FIVETHE FINE PRINT

CHAPTER FIVE
THE FINE PRINT

( episode four: the sauna test )

Violet pulls the window pane back down with as soft of a touch as she can manage. She purses her lips and peers out the speckled glass. Slivers of light filtered in hot, jarring streaks over her room.

The house was a rumination of breakfast consumption silence. The radio humming, Marge's occasional remark. As Violet tidied herself up, gathered her things into her bag and milled about the occupied kitchen as though it were an ordinary morning, she wilfully pleaded it would stay that way. For a fraction of a second, as she cracked open the fridge, she were hopeful to be getting out to the car with as little as goodbye.

'What happened to your car?'

The hair on Violet's arms stood up at the sound of her Father's voice. The night prior comes back to her in dark shadows and pellets of rain. She had to do her best to conceal her trepidations until they had any certainty, but it were hard not to. She knew the moment she looked at him, his expression would feel different. More deviant. More off putting.

Violet pokes her head from the refrigerator. Dark brown eyes await her answer from the kitchen table expectantly. She had been right. 'Hm?'

'It's not in the driveway...'

'Oh yeah,' she dismisses casually. 'The battery gave out in the heat yesterday so I left it in the mall parking lot until I can jump start it. Steve drove us home and then trekked it back to his place.'

Tony frowns. 'Still a hell of a walk though, isn't it? From here to the Harrington's?'

'Not really,' she shrugs. 'Under two miles.'

'In the rain?'

'Well it wasn't... cold rain.'

'How the hell are you gonna get to work today?'