IX

CHAPTER NINELAB RATS( episode 8: the mind flayer )

CHAPTER NINE
LAB RATS
( episode 8: the mind flayer )

Violet and Steve lead the way up a grassy knoll, torches and moonlight illuminating the tops of their shoes as a guide along the pitch black landscape ahead of them. Howls echo to the sky, the moon stagnant under passing clouds. Fog simmers low over the stretch of forest and hills as far as their eyes can see in the chilling Fall skies. Everyone's breath catches in exhausted heaps, clouding around their mouths and noses.

'I don't seem em,' says Dustin, breathless with every step he dragged in front of himself.

Beside Violet, Lucas brings the binoculars around his neck to his eyes, squinting closely. She watches him pucker his face in concentration.

'Can you seem em'?' she asks him.

'No but...' Lucas replies. 'I can see the...'

Lucas Sinclair trails off, leaving the group hanging for an answer. 'You can see what?' Steve asks him.

Lucas brings the binoculars away from his face, a gleam of terror behind his eyes. 'It's the lab,' he says. 'They were going back home.'

Lucas points ahead of himself, his arm extending a little short of true North. Just by his index finger, Violet can just make out the silhouette of a boxy building against the dark, a faint red light blinking on top of it.

'Hawkins Lab?' Violet asks Steve.

'Yep,' he replies, swinging the bat over his shoulder. 'And you're about to take a tour by the looks of it.'

Steve's legs bobble awkwardly as he starts making his way down the hill, Dustin and Lucas close behind him.

'You're not serious,' Violet says.

Steve stops and turns to her. 'Obviously we're not going inside, Harper.'

'But we're still going there,' she detests. 'Why the hell are we following those things if that's where they're going?'