Chapter 4: Hope

Thalleous and Yvana travel to Nestoria in search of the one person that Thalleous thinks will help them in their search for the so-called 'Songbreaker,' but when they get there, they are met with a little more resistance than they were expecting, making their job a little difficult

******************

"Achillean Nestoris was one of the greatest Song-wielders that I had ever known, but he hated them with a burning passion. Why, is something that I will never know..."

"The Tidesinger? But no-one has seen him since the Great War..."

"I think I might know where he could be."

Thalleous and Yvana began their journey along the land border between the clan territories and the Northwind mountains towards the shores of Nestoria – the home of the Tidesinger. Thalleous had sent word ahead via messenger bird to Master Aurelius that they were on their way to speak with him. If anyone were going to know exactly where Achillean Nestoris may be, it was him. It was the only lead they had to go on, but it was something better than nothing as far as they were concerned, for now.

Thalleous was a little shocked at how keen Yvana was in finding Achillean, considering she had effectively just called the legendary Tidesinger the 'Songbreaker,' even if it was just a resounding theory for the time being. He didn't want to believe that a good friend like Achillean would stoop so low as to torment whole clans and families with horror like that, even if he did hate Songs that much, but he pushed his thoughts to the back of his mind and pressed on towards Nestoria. He would deal with the matter at hand before worrying about the potential betrayal that would slap him around the face if the truth reared its ugly head.

For the time being, they just had to find Achillean, which would end up being a task in itself, for it seemed that Aurelius was just as protective of the Tidesinger as the Tidesinger was of himself.

On arriving in Nestoria, Thalleous and Yvana were greeted by Master Aurelius in his usual spot by the same pier he would observe on his days spent outside of his cave network. Luckily for them, he was alone and therefore their presence and questions wouldn't disrupt the other Nestoris Ardoni around, although the occasional fisher would pass by with their arms filled with fishing equipment, heading to the fishing spots with purpose.

The day was clear with not a cloud in the sky as the waves crashed against the shoreline and the stacks that lined the coast before them. Aurelius enjoyed his quiet days like this – just admiring the home of his clan so pristine. Yvana had only been to Nestoria once before and it was back when she was still growing up and Thalleous had taken her to visit Master Aegus not too long before he passed away. She didn't get the chance to see much of the territory back then, so this was a pleasant surprise for her. The only thing that would make it better would be a smooth conversation that led them to the Tidesinger.

Aurelius, however, was not in the mood.

"You two came sooner than expected," he acknowledged without looking at the two Ardoni champions. "The journey was smooth, yes?"

Thalleous perched on the wooden log next to the Nestoris Master.

"Indeed, it was, Master Aurelius. Quite pleasant, actually."

Aurelius looked over to Thalleous and eyed him carefully. He spotted Yvana stood slightly behind him and he frowned, swapping his gaze between the two of them before rolling his eyes.

"You never mentioned that you were bringing the Kaltaris champion with you..."

"An unnecessary detail, Master Aurelius. She is simply helping me. Now I believe you know why we are here?" Thalleous knew that Aurelius had disagreed with him over the rescue of Yvana Kaltaris when the first Great War began and the Deathsinger first attacked for he thought his efforts to have been of more effective use elsewhere, but Thalleous had other feelings to deal with – such as his rivalry with Master Odysseus. After hearing of his murder, followed by the attack on Kaltaria, he deemed it in his best interest that, even though Odysseus was not there to see it, he would save his daughter in his name.