Chapter 9: Attachment

Thalleous tells Yvana everything she needs to know about Songs in order to understand the Songbreaker, but this only raises more questions than it answers and Achillean disturbs the chat with a complaint about a particular bird, only this bird is the bearer of bad news

Author's note: incoming information dump

disclaimer: I did zero research before writing this chapter - the entire thing is a headcanon about Songs as how I interpret them to work with the Ardoni. I tried my best to write it in a fashion that is most understandable. hope it worked!

*****************

"Yva, I want to tell you something..."

"Okay, Thal, but I'm still not letting Achillean out of my sight."

"That is fine – I worry for him, anyway. I was not going to suggest it-"

"He's going to have to do something spectacular to change my mind about him, if that's what you're wanting to talk to me about."

"That is still not it, Yva."

"Then what is it?"

"The Songbreaker..."

"Not this again, Thal..."

"No, no. You might as well know this. I was trying to shelter you from this harsh truth, but it is becoming more and more difficult the deeper we wander into this unknown territory..."

"Don't 'protect' me, Thal. We're a little past that stage. So, come on, old man. Out with it. What's so bad that you had to hide it for so long?"

"Songbreaking – and stealing Songs – is not a masterful skill. Anyone can do it, but the Ardoni morals – in most cases – prevent us from willingly deciding to rip a Song from its host. You have seen the after-effects. You know what it does to the host."

"Anyone can do it?"

"Let me explain..."

*****

Songs are powers – or energy – that are encased in a single shell. That shell is strong enough only to hold that energy inside and prevent it from roaming free for it is too powerful to be safe unhindered. When an Ardoni harnesses this energy, they become the shell that stores and holds the power. You have felt that energy course through your veins, running free through your body, I am sure. You feel it as you summon it to your core, through your centre.

The physical manifestation of that shell melts into your skin and grants you that extra security as you store that energy. When you release that power, the shell reforms around it and the only free energy that you receive is that low hum of a harmony, sung as the energy sits in its own power, every molecule colliding with the shell, desperate to break free. While in the shell, that energy grows in power – like recharging, if you will – and that is why the hum of a Prime Song is much louder and much more enticing.

When you absorb that power after harnessing its abilities, your body bonds with it on a molecular and metaphysical level – it binds to your nervous system, which is why it requires so much mental and physical energy to summon at will, and also why it will sometimes respond to extreme emotions. I know for a fact that, when you have felt extremely angry, the flashes of both of your Songs have swarmed your space. It is a subconscious reaction, which is why they never manifest into their energy forms. It is why, when you feel those emotions, you do not accidentally level a small area with your Aggroquake. They are safe for they respond to your nervous system on a joint basis. You must subconsciously feel it as well as consciously feel it. When you react in battle, your subconscious is already finding the Song's energy by the time your conscious is ready to summon it. Your whole system connects with it and works in unison to aid you.