Chapter 7: Goh & Chloe

"You both have everything you need?" the brunette-haired woman asked. 

"Yes, we do, Mrs. Ketchum." Serena responded as she finished checking inside her bag. She made sure that she brought extra clothes and money just in case.

"Pika-chu!" both of the Pikachu squeaked in a cheerful tone.

Ash did not say anything, but responded with a simple nod of the head. He was still deep in thought and was reflecting on the incident with Heracross that occurred earlier during the week.

"How about you, Ash?" Delia questioned her son, noticing her son sulking in the side. Ever since she returned home after visiting her friend in the Sevii Islands, Ash has been acting more distant and was constantly deep in his thoughts. She could make a good guess on what was causing his behavior, because Serena informed her about the incident that happened at the laboratory.

"Yes, mom..." Ash finally spoke, although it was quieter than his normal tone of voice.

Delia sighed and decided that Ash's recent depressed behavior couldn't be helped. She mentally hoped that Serena could snap her son out of it. Regardless, satisfied by both of their answers, Delia restarted the engine of the car she borrowed from Professor Oak.

"Okay you two have fun and don't forget to tell everyone I said hello." Delia said.

"Mr. Mime!" Mimey said.

The older brunette-haired woman waved farewell to Ash and Serena before driving off. The couple and their Pikachu watched Delia drive away and disappear in the distance. After staring at the road for a few moments, Serena turned to face her boyfriend.

"So, shall we go inside?" Serena asked the raven-haired teenager beside her.

Ash seemed to have heard her as he slowly nodded his head. He then turned his body and gestured for Serena to walk with him up the stairs and towards the laboratory. The honey-blonde girl felt the atmosphere continue to grow uncomfortable as her usually loud and enthusiastic boyfriend continued to remain quiet. It was hurting her that Ash wasn't opening up to her.

"I need to help him before this becomes a repeat of his Snowbelle City gym battle with Wulfric..." Serena thought to herself. With a heavy sigh and determined expression, she mentally prepared herself to speak to Ash.

"Pika pi..." Ash's Pikachu squeaked quietly, showing absolute concern for his trainer. The electric mouse Pokémon knew that Ash was feeling regret over the whole incident with Mega Heracross since their hearts and minds were practically one. However, he didn't know what to do to comfort his trainer/ best friend.

"Pika-chu." Serena's Pikachu squeaked and patted Pikachu on the back in a comforting way. Ash's Pikachu forced a smile, but still felt uneasy knowing that his trainer is conflicted in the inside of his mind.

"Ash, is something wrong?" Serena finally got the courage to ask. She let out another sigh before continuing, "You know you can open up to me, right? I'm your girlfriend."

"I'm fine," Ash said, attempting to shoot Serena a reassuring grin. However, a frown reappeared on his face immediately after. He shook his head and then grabbed Serena's right hand, intertwining their fingers together. "Come on, Goh and everyone else is expecting us. Goh and Chloe really want to meet you."

Serena gazed at her hand and Ash's hand being held together. This was the first time since the day before yesterday that the raven-haired teenager held her hand. To her dismay, she felt no warmness coming from their handholding. She sensed that Ash was still being distant and was still not acting like himself.

"Oh, Ash... please come back to me... to us... soon... for everyone's sake."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃