thirteen

C A R T E R
Day 3

"Where are we going?"

I rested my hands on Hayes' wrists, trying to sneak a look at wherever he had taken me to. He just kept moving me forward though until I spoke again.

"Are you kidnapping me again?" I asked, almost hearing him roll his eyes at my question.

"Nope." With that, he removed his hands from over my eyes, placing them on my hips instead.

My eyes immediately found the leftover pieces of the theme park and I scanned the dark forest it was place in the middle of before I looked up after the dark clouds framing the moon.

"I see, so you came to kill me instead of kidnap huh? I thought we were doing well too." I smiled sadly, turning around to look at him but by that time his hand had already found mine and he was leading me towards the ferris wheel.

He stopped in front of it, pulling the gate open so I could go in first before he followed.

"You do know it doesn't work-" I began but Hayes was already climbing up the set of ladders leading up to the top.

I rolled my eyes playfully, gripping onto the ladder and pulling myself up after him, "Aren't you afraid of heights?"

He glanced down at me with a half smile before he continued, telling me to be careful in case there were any broken steps. Luckily I didn't fall and I focused on the bright full moon illuminating the dark sky.

Maybe he's going to push me off instead. At least I'll join Eduardo.

When we made it up to the top, Hayes stepped into one of the carts, offering me his hand so I could get into it too. I obliged, brushing some leaves off the torn leather before I took a seat on it.

Hayes placed an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his side while I rested my head on his chest.

"Why are we here?" I asked. It was honestly a really nice place to be at night and the calm atmosphere was unmatched, but I thought there was another reason.

Hayes sighed, resting his head on mine and following my line of sight to the single star adorning the sky.

"The police- my uncle- he's found more evidence of what you and your brothers did. He knows I'm stalling and probably why. He rang me before to say that we have two days before we're in jail." Hayes explained and I simply nodded in response.

In the past I probably would have argued about it or thrown something but I was becoming more accepting of what was going to happen. I knew why, I knew it had to happen.

"I guess it's time to make the most of these remaining two days then huh?" I questioned, standing up and attempting to pull Hayes with me.

He stood up on his own but I took the credit and placed my hands on the bar above us, lifting myself up onto it. Hayes followed reluctantly, careful not to look down.

I did though, and a dangerous idea popped into my mind at the bouncy castle beneath us. Hayes noticed where I was looking and shook his head immediately.

"We'll die on like, impact, or something. Plus what if it's deflated and we're just falling to our death?" He questioned, making two, very valid points. But I still stood up, taking in how high we were.