sixteen

C A R T E R

I held myself back from getting into more trouble when an officer used more force than necessary on Nix, even though he was completely with everything they told him to do. Albeit he had told them to 'shut the fuck up' but they kept talking and it was annoying us all.

Rose held Aaliyah back when she started for Cairo again, pulling her into a hug so she didn't have to see him go. Cody wrapped his arms around Remi before he could go and Remi smiled softly, kissing him one last time before he stepped out of the dorm.

Xander and Rosalie held eye contact as he walked out, not taking any shit from the officer who 'accidentally' slammed his knee into his back. He swept his feet out from under him, being unbothered when the officer slammed his face onto the wood.

I mumbled out a few choice words when I got cuffed way too tightly, feeling the burn on my skin when I moved my hands slightly. Hayes clenched his jaw, obviously noting that the officers were only being so harsh with him because of his uncle.

Other students looked out from their dorms, whispering amongst themselves. I suddenly remembered something and stood up again, rushing to the end of the hallway before the officer could catch me. I pushed the door to Brinleys room open, looking around before I spotted the pack of gummies on the side.

I shoved them in the back of my pants, not being noticed as the officer dragged me out and forced me down next to Hayes. Remi sent me a look and I smiled which caused him to return it, knowing.

Aaliyah was still facing away in Rose's arms, but when they pulled us onto our feet and started moving us away, she broke free and ran up to Cairo.

The kissed before another officer pushed her back to Rosalie, who hadn't moved her eyes from Xander, probably silently wishing things could've been different. They could've been. But Xander really did love her, so he let her go.

Remi sent Cody one more reassuring smile as they moved us down the stairs, heading for the double glass doors.

It was raining when we stepped out, the lights becoming more prominent as the cloudless dark sky loomed over us. It seemed like in that moment, everything hit me with full force.

The past. What was going to happen now, and the uncertain future that we had no idea about. Maybe we'll work it out. I didn't resist as the officer pushed me into the car next to Nix and Remi, noting how Nix kept kicking the front seat.

He was drunk, but I knew that when the effect of the alcohol wore off, he would probably feel the same as I did too. Or maybe he already did, but he didn't want to face it. I knew it had already hit Remi when he just stared out the window blankly.

It wasn't long before we arrived at the station, being shoved into one cell together and cuffed to the handles on the walls and the railings.

No one said a word, probably thinking about what was going to happen now, at least I was. I didn't know if I'd be able to see my parents, my cousins, uncles. Hayes? What about my brothers? Would I be able to see them?

The sound of a key turning made us all look up to the source and Hayes rolled his eyes, giving me the answer of who it was.

"Hayes, son, I never thought I'd be seeing you in here." Bitterness laced his tone and set his glare on me, considering I was suddenly the reason of everything that was happening.