2

Marinette stirred from her place on the floor. Putting her hand to her head, she opened her eyes and looked around. Then she sat up.

What was going on? Why was she on the floor? What just happened? It felt like she was doing something important, but she couldn't think of what it was. And as she sat there, it seemed like the idea was drifting farther and farther away from her mind.

After a moment she stood up. Glancing around, she tried to think. What was she just doing? Did she slip and fall? Is that the reason she was on the floor?

'Think' she willed herself.

What was the last thing she remembered? Her eyes landed on her computer. The computer! That was it. She was watching a news report on her computer. About that huge monster that showed up at her school. Yes, that was it.

Grabbing the remote, Marinette quickly turned the screen on. But there was no news report. It was just a regular show. Turning it off, she scrunched up her face.

Then she grabbed her phone from her back pocket. After doing the pattern to unlock it, a second security screen popped up. A screen where you had to enter a numerical code.

She stared down at it. Since when was there a second step to unlock her phone? She had never set that up. Getting more frustrated, she typed in the numbers one, two, three and four.

Nope, incorrect.

Then she tried her birthday.

Still incorrect. And a glaring message popped up on the screen.

'You have eight more attempts before your device is permanently locked.'

With a groan, Marinette looked around hoping that the answer would jump out at her. But she suddenly got distracted. Why were there colored papers covering the windows? And why was everything moved around? Was her mom trying to redecorate her room or something? She hadn't mentioned anything to her. Very strange.

But wait, back to the most important thing. The monster. Maybe her parents knew what was going on.

She opened the door and hurried down the stairs to the living room. "Maman! Did you see the news report about the monster?"

"No I didn't, sweetie," her mother replied, nonchalantly. "I guess there's another akuma attack."

Marinette blinked at her. "A what?"

"An akuma attack," Sabine repeated.

She shook her head. "Wha... what's that?"

Sabine blinked her eyes in confusion. "You know, an attack from an akuma? Hawk Moth akumatized someone?"

"A...ku...ma...tized?" Marinette asked slowly. "Wait, is the monster the Hawk thing?"

"Marinette," her mother said gently, approaching her. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine, I think maybe I slipped and bumped my head. I woke up on the floor of my bedroom just now. The last thing I remember before that was watching a news report about the monster. Oh, and I can't get my phone to unlock for some weird reason."

Sabine took out her own phone and pressed a few buttons. "There's no akuma attack going on right now, sweetie. Let me look back." She paused as she scrolled. "The last attack was yesterday morning. You don't remember anything since then?"

"No... that's the last thing."

"Sit down, sweetie," Sabine said, guiding her daughter to the couch. "Just rest for a minute and try to think."

"Okay," she said, really concentrating. "I remember waking up, having breakfast, then Papa giving me the macarons to bring to school, going to class and then coming back here after the monster appeared. I went up to my room and saw the report on my computer. Then I woke up on the floor."