Angel Feathers Can Smother Cigarette Smoke PT. II

CHAPTER TWO

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness," 1 John 1:9

From the corner of the room were the wavering orchestral sounds of an organ. Veronica opened her eyes in a stunned state. It felt like she was awake, but everything was thick and slow as if she'd ambled through gelatin. The air smelt dead, like she stuck her face into a refrigerator that had no electricity. Dust particles floated aimlessly through the air, like fairies of bad memories and stale childhood. As she looked fixedly around at her surroundings, she realized she was at the church she went to as a child. A feeling of icy dread sunk like an anchor into her gut. As the woman turned around to leave the freezing room, she pressed both palms against what was supposed to be a pair of large doors. Instead, the entire wall was replaced with black thorny bushes and vibrant ruby red roses. Her hands jolted back in shock from the sharp pain from the thorns, and she gazed up at the towering wall of the onyx bush with the occasional cardinal coloured rose. Veronica went to smooth her hands down on her pants and was startled when she found out she was wearing a flashy black sequined ball gown. She remembered the organ music and sought out the person that was playing the instrument. But she appeared to be the only one in the church. She began to walk the aisle, looking in between the pews. They were different. Instead of regular chipped white painted oak, they had velvet red cushions and a soot-black mahogany finish. Veronica noticed the azure luminescence that cast warm rays upon the rest of the room and stared up at the stained glass portrait of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus. At the end of the path, was a confessional booth. Inside, it glowed with a welcoming golden candlelight. Veronica hurried to open up the velvet maroon curtain and closed it once she gathered her dress together and sat in the small seat. The candlelight seemed to grow brighter and flickered on the other side of the lattice patterned window.

"Confess, love," A gravelly voice startled Veronica out of the daze from staring at the flame. She tried to make out the silhouette only for the flame to start to die out once she tried to make the person out. "Who are you? And why am I here?" Veronica strained her eyes in the dark, and the flame died out completely once she asked that question.

"I said confess," The voice came again louder and clearer. She could tell the voice was male, had a British accent, and was raspy as if the person was old or smoked quite a lot.

"I don't know what to confess!" Veronica blurted, staring at the latticed window hard. The candlelight began to grow again, engulfing the entire confessional booth in roaring seething hot flames while she was trapped inside. The curtain was no longer there, alternatively, it was the black bush with red roses. The organ music stopped playing, and instead, Veronica could hear the distant shrill grating 'koww!' of a raven. Veronica shrieked shrilly, putting her fingers in the holes of the latticed window as she felt the burning flames eat her from her feet up. The bottom of Veronicas ruby red dress caught first. She felt her vision grow cloudy and the only sensation was burning heat smoldering her entirely. It almost felt good.

"It's quite lovely in hell, darling, not so bad as people make it out to be. I will see you there,"

--

Veronica sat up in her bed, completely drenched in sweat. She tore the plaid quilt off of her fervent body and put her head in her hands once she realized she was safe at home. To calm herself down she focused on the quick rise and fall of her chest and the faint hum of her fan.. Veronica began to relax, forcing the thoughts of that dream to the back of her mind. That was until the sudden loud trilling of her phone startled her. She shrieked, covering her mouth to stifle any unexpected loud noises that would fall from her lips. Veronica snatched her buzzing phone from her charger to see it was Russel calling. She slid the green circle for 'ANSWER' and pressed it up to her ear.