Chapter 8: Volleyball

When Hinata got home from work on Friday, he found Kageyama sitting on the stairs in front of his apartment wearing gray sweatpants and a tight fitting navy blue t-shirt. (Didn't he ever give Hinata a break from drooling over those amazing pecs and arms?)

Kageyama grinned at the redhead and pulled out a volleyball from behind him. "Since we only have a couple of hours, I thought maybe we could go to the park and I could give you some tosses."

Hinata's face lit up, "Yeah, that would be awesome!"

Kageyama said, "Go change. I'll grab some meat buns and milk from Ukai's store and we can bring them with us. I'll meet you down there in five minutes."

Hinata grinned again as he made his way back to his apartment to change. Part of him was a little nervous about playing volleyball again. He had avoided, as much as possible, thinking about volleyball over the last couple of years, trying to not dwell on what he couldn't have anymore. What if playing some tonight made him miss it too much? He debated that for a few minutes while putting on sweats, a baggy white t-shirt and his volleyball shoes, but decided that even if it did make him miss it more, at least he would feel something, some joy, even if it was just a short time. And he figured he deserved a little joy once in a while.

He met Kageyama out in front of the store and they started to walk to the park. After briefly stretching, Kags starting setting for Hinata. Kageyama's first impression was "Shit, he can jump really high! Damn." Then he observed, "He's so fast. I can imagine blockers have a hard time keeping up with him."

Then, Kag's final thought was that Hinata looked like an angel in heaven when playing. He looked so happy and excited, so energized, that smile shining brightly. Kageyama's heart might have skipped a beat or two while watching the small redhead do his thing. He was really impressed with his skills, and also found him incredibly adorable when he was playing.

Hinata was also pretty impressed with Kageyama. His sets were very precise, and he had no trouble reacting to Hinata's crazy unexpected moves. Hinata felt comfortable playing with Kags, and yes, incredibly happy to be doing this again. He knew he was grinning like an idiot, but he couldn't help it. This. This was good.

After a while they took a short break to have a bite to eat.

"This is great, Kageyama. Thank you so much. I like being with you. You make me forget my problems."

Kageyama's smile faded a bit and he was suddenly eyeing Hinata intently. "What problems, Hinata?"

The redhead shrugged and turned away slightly, determined to not ruin the cheerful mood he was in. Kags tried again. "What are you hiding?"

"It's nothing. It's just... you're leaving soon, to go back to Tokyo."

"Yes, I am."

"When?" Hinata asked.

"Probably Sunday."

"Oh," was all Hinata said, thinking Two days. That's it.

"Is that what this is? That you are afraid to get too involved?"

"Yes. No. I don't know. It's just ... complicated."

Kagaeyama waited silently to see if Hinata would speak again.

Hinata looked out at the trees and pondered for a moment. He was thinking that Natsu had a birthday party to go to tomorrow evening. She would be leaving around five o'clock and had planned to stay overnight at the friend's house.

"Tomorrow," he said, making the decision. "How about tomorrow I make you dinner at my place and we have a quiet night in. And maybe if I drink enough I'll tell you some secrets." Hinata looked a bit mischievous at that. Kageyama nodded, one side of his mouth lifting slightly.