Newbies

(fanart above by KimberlyTorrejon)

God my motivation dropped hard while writing this. didn't mean for this to take this long but oop.

This should've come out like five days ago but I went off on a short Hilton Head vacation and barely proofread at the hotel-

this chapter was kind of hard to write bc at times I had no clue what to write. Like, I knew how I wanted this to go but once we got the major stuff of the chapter out of the way I needed to do filler so we can get to the next major thing.

and y'know, I'm bad at filler.

Lastly, im testing out a new style. Switching POVs without specifying whenever I'm doing it. Been encouraged to drop the POV by my older sister and also my mom, who writes Amazon romance books, advised I'd stop it too if I wanted my book to look cleaner.

So tell me if you like the change or if I should revert back to my normal -POV: (insert character)-

---

-

It was the evening battle, the kids were rounded up into their usual holding room placementS. Six and the others being located in the right holding room as usual.

One's leg had finally healed enough to allow himself to fight again, One wasn't too excited by this factor, however. He was enjoying the break.

"I hope I'm not too rusty." One commented as he stood next to Six, staring out the barred window.

"Hello, my wonderful guests!" The lady greeted with enthusiasm, standing on her balcony that overlooked the whole Arena. "Today I have an announcement. It's an obvious one but I figured I'd mention it anyway. The nighttime battles are canceled in order to have more time for the event in the restaurant area."

"Nice, we can go even sooner now!" Six said, only speaking quiet enough so her friends who looked out the barred window alongside her could hear.

"Ah, great." Shadow Six responded, faking enthusiasm.

"But, that's not the only announcement." The Lady said, "We've actually gotten two new kids! One was rehomed to us from the hospital since they no longer had a use for them, and the other the ferryman stumbled upon them on a trip. They were sleeping in the trash with a rat, gross. They both will have a much better life with us."

"And hopefully they both will do better than that one kid who never wins a battle. We really don't need two more fighting failures in this ship." The Lady joked.

The joke had gotten some laughs out of the crowd.

Slinky wasn't at the bars, he sat across the room in the corner of the left holding room. But he could hear that joke and the audience's response clearly.

But, the joke didn't do much to him. His confidence was already rock-bottom to begin with anyway.

"Wow, got a bit of my joking side." The Lady said, "Anyways, let the battles commence. One of our fighters, Dust Devil, has finally healed from his nasty battle with Ragdoll. So to celebrate his long-awaited healing, he will fight a newcomer!"

On that cue, the all too familiar taikos began drumming. The music filled the Arena.

The door to the right holding room opened, The Janitor stepping in and extending their arm towards One. The Janitor's fingers curled around his torso. Unresistful against the Janitor's grip, One was carried out effortlessly.

One was put into the familiar setting of the battle enter cage, he was thrown in rather than placed down this time but the soft sand cushioned his fall. He got up, shaking the sand off his cloak and hands.