Chapter 1

In the city of Constella, the city where people worshipped the stars, everyone was hurrying to prepare a festival. Despite the thick snow on the ground, nobody seemed to mind them, instead, they focused on their tasks and finished them as soon as possible. This day would mark a special moment, which the High Priestess of Constella would pray and wish upon the stars for the good omens happening on the next year.

But the festival did not go smoothly. When the architectures were working with their statues, the Gargoyles suddenly appeared and attacked them. Thankfully, the High Priestess of Constella, Elena, happened to be in the accident at the right moment. With her powerful magic, she successfully subdued the Gargoyle and chased them away. But it did not help her swaying the thought that something or somebody was trying to sabotage the festival.

Elena was an elegant young girl, who had long white hair inherit from her mother, so did her beauty. Born from a high-class family, she was destined to hold a noble position in Constella. Not so long ago, she was tasked by the Elder's Council and was sent away, but it was a trap created by them. And then, a war between good and evil carried on suddenly, and Constella was involved in it. Fortunately, in the end, the good side won.

When Elena went back to her room, she asked two persons to observe the repair of the damage the Gargoyle caused. One was a handsome doctor, who was exhaled from the Damus house, a noble family in Aakhen. He wore a complex combination of clothes: a white and noble white and black coat, a pair of black pants and boots. He also had a plague mask hanged in front of his neck and some potions attached to his coat. He was a kind man, who used his skill to cure people without money. Elena had a crush on him, but the doctor, named Ray, seemed not to notice it and saw her as a friend instead, which annoyed Elena so much. Meanwhile, the other one was...

"Al!"

A young Suin, who had short black hair and cat ears turned back. He looked at the young man, who had similar hair color as him, calling out his name.

"Pavel, Cerise. You came," the young Suin greeted them.

Pavel was Al's friend, who trained with him in Perlands City. Despite the cold weather, Pavel seemed not to be affected by the cold, totally different than Al, who wore warm black clothes. Pavel only wore long pants and a black tank top, with an old brownish scarf. Looking at him, Al was amazed and wondered if his friend felt the cold or not.

On the other hand, Cerise was the daughter of the Citylord of Aakhen. And she marked herself with her noble, complex, and luxurious clothes. She had short blue hair with a piece of white hair in front. Just like Pavel, she did not feel the cold at all, despite her clothes did not look like warm ones.

Seeing the destruction created by the Gargoyle, Cerise asked, "Did something happen?"

"Yeah," Al nodded, "The Gargoyle suddenly went on a rampage. Thankfully, Elena stopped them so they did not cause harm much."

"Oh, Cerise, Pavel. I didn't know that you came," the doctor said in surprise.

"It's really nice to see you here, Ray," Cerise said, and she asked, "Where's Elena?"

"She returned to her home, saying she would need to change her dress for the festival," Ray answered.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting!"

The four of them turned back, and all they saw was a completely different Elena. Not only she tied and changed her hairstyle, she looked even more beautiful when the city lightened up. She also changed her dress, from a white one to a blue, and showed off her smooth and white shoulder, and the dress revealed yet hid her chest.

"How do I look?" Elena asked but she kept looking at Ray. Only Al and Cerise noticed that.

"You look good," Ray spoke calmly.

"That's a fine dress," Pavel showed the same expression as Ray.

When they spoke, both Cerise and Al were completely silent.

"That's it? That's all you could say?" Elena was surprised and she was really annoyed, especially as Ray.

"Er..." Ray was stunned. He knew Elena was angry but he did not know why. Meanwhile, Pavel just stood there and did not say anything.

"Fine!" Elena muffled in anger, and she left without saying anything else, leaving the four of them, which two of them did not understand what just happened and why she acted like that.

"Ray, Pavel, you two are hopeless," Cerise commented, and she did not hold back any punch.

"What do you mean? Did I do something wrong?" Ray asked and he had no idea what he just did.

"Why are you angry at us? What about Al?" Pavel asked and looked at the Suin.

"Forget about it. The two of you should help to repair and prepare for the festival. After that, I will explain why."

When Cerise spoke that, she actually meant it. Seeing how mad she was, both Ray and Pavel had no choice but to follow her order.

When Ray and Pavel left, Cerise stood with Al for a while. Then, she asked, "Why didn't you say anything?"

Al smiled, "Even if I said something, it wouldn't change the fact that she wanted to be complemented by Ray."

"Well, I can't say I disagree," Cerise sighed. But then, she saw the sadness in Al's eyes. She then asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." Al replied, "I just finished buried my parents. It's on a hill that has a nice view of the sky."

Cerise paused. Al's grief for his parents was the reason she was not angry at Al when he did not comment on Elena's new dress.

Al tried to hold his tears, and his hands did not stop shaking. He spoke with a trembling voice, "But why? Why did they join Lilias?"

Cerise tried to comfort him but she did not know what to say. They all saw the proof and his parents had to pay the price for joining the cruel and ambitious queen. And they stayed silent.

After a while, Al felt something wrong. However, only he noticed that. He did not understand why he could feel where the source came from.

He then turned to Cerise and asked, "Can you please look after them?"

"Where are you going?" Cerise asked when Al was about to leave.

"I just need to check something," Al said. He did not want to worry his friends and alerted the city unnecessarily. But he knew what he should do if he was right.

Looking at his eyes directly, Cerise could sense something. Concerning Al, she suggested, "If something happens..."

"Don't worry, I will send a signal if something is wrong," Al said and he left afterward.

Cerise wanted to follow him, but she thought it might be just a ruse and Al only needed a private space to reduce the pain.