Part 10

LISA

It had only been a month or two since I started dating Jennie officially. And, frankly, it'd been a miraculous couple of months.

I'd never felt this happy in my life. Not even when we were kids because, as kids, I never got to express how I really felt about her. And now I did.

How I felt about her ... God, I didn't even know how to describe it. As time passed and I'd gotten to know her once again, I'd only fallen deeper in love with her. The intensity of my emotions had grown.

Which scared me.

Not in the way that it had scared Jennie all those years ago. I wasn't terrified to get too close to her. In fact, I loved it. Every second of feeling close to her again filled me with joy.

I was the happiest I'd ever been and that was what was scary. It could all disappear on me at any moment.

I worried about it all the time. I'd forgiven Jennie, I truly had. But I hadn't moved on from what she did. I still worried all the time that she might leave again.

Sometimes, I questioned her commitment to me. She'd never given me a reason since she'd been back to doubt it, though. She'd given me all of her time and attention, so I didn't bring it up. I didn't want to sound crazy when things were perfectly fine between us, obviously.

But it was in the back of my mind all the time. When I was with her, I could bask in my happiness and enjoy our time together. When I was alone, it was a different story. My mind ran rampant and I couldn't get a hold of my thoughts.

Which was what was happening right now. I was sitting on my bed, Callie happily purring in my lap, as I waited for Jennie to get here. Callie was helping to keep my anxiety under control at least marginally, but not much.

Jennie should have been here any moment now, though. And then these thoughts would fade from my mind as I wrapped myself up in her.

I knew she'd be on time, too, because she literally always was. I didn't think she'd been even a minute late getting to my house since we got together. And she came to see me almost every day.

When I worked, she'd come by late during the night and spent time with me. Which was nice, but we were both usually tired and I had work early. On the weekends, we got to spend the day together, though. It was Saturday and I was stoked to be able to hang out with her with no other interruptions.

About five minutes before Jennie told me she would be arriving, I heard a knock at my door. Callie got up excitedly and ran to the door. She'd really taken a shine to Jennie, despite the fact that she must smell like her own kitten.

I shouldn't have been too surprised, though. Callie loved attention. And Jennie definitely spoiled her with it.

I got up to the door to find a smiling Jennie staring at me.

"Morning, babe!" she said, kissing me on the cheek as she walked in.

"It's not exactly morning anymore, you know," I told her as I went to sit on the couch next to her. She wrapped her arms around me and I cuddled up into her.

It was crazy how fast we'd fallen back together. Even the first day we began a relationship together, nothing felt awkward. I felt as close to her as I always had.

"What exactly are the plans for today?" Jennie asked me.

"Don't really have any." I shrugged. "Movies? Video games? Chinese food delivery?"

"That all sounds perfect to me." She kissed me softly on the lips.

When we first started dating, every little peck sent shivers down my spine. But now I could kiss her without being intensely overwhelmed by the chemistry between us.