Epilogue

JENNIE

I hearf a quick crash and ran out to the living room to see what had happened. I found Lyla and Callie hissing at each other and a bowl of fruit had fallen off the kitchen table.

"Ugh, how long is it going to take for you two to get over this?" I asked in exasperation.

Callie immediately went sprinting down the hall into the bathroom and Lyla stared at me from the corner of the room.

"Seriously, you guys are going to have to get used to each other now. You're siblings now." I scolded at the two cats.

It had only been a week since I moved into Lisa's house. We were hoping the cats would adjust a little better than they had, but I supposed we just needed to give it some time.

We probably should have spent more time introducing them in the year between my proposal and our wedding. But what can I say? We were too enthralled with one another to think too much on the logistics of moving in together after our wedding.

Well, if you could really call it a wedding. Neither one of us were very big on giant displays of affection nor did we have many friends to invite to a wedding even if we wanted to have one. We just invited my parents and hers, though hers chose not to fly out for the event. They had moved away years ago and Lisa wasn't that close with them. Cordial, but not very close, so she wasn't really hurt that they didn't want to show up for a courthouse wedding. I actually thought she was hoping pretty badly that they wouldn't come because I heard her reiterate on the phone to them several times that "it will only be an hour or so at the courthouse, no big deal, no reception."

I think she was glad my parents were there, though. And I certainly was. I may not have wanted the attention of a big wedding, but seeing my mom cry as I made my vows to the woman I loved more than anything was definitely a highlight of my life.

There was a time, just a year ago, that I wasn't even sure my mom would ever be there to see me get married. And now I was confident that she'd be around to see me have children. Life could change so quickly.

I had gone from the darkest point in my life to the brightest in just a year's time. I honestly felt like a significantly different person. A more dedicated lover and daughter, a more positive individual, someone who saw the glass half full.

I wasn't sure I'd ever get here. Mostly because I wasn't sure I'd ever find someone I loved as much as I loved Lisa. As it turned out, I never did. She was my one and only.

And she always would be.

I'd thoroughly enjoyed our lives as they were now, how they'd been for the past year, but I was also excited for our future. Since getting married last month, we'd already started talking to some adoption agencies. We both agreed that was the next step for us, having kids. Neither of us wanted to wait.

"What was that?" I heard Lisa ask as she came up from the hallway.

"Our little furry angels were fighting again," I told her, rolling my eyes.

"Ugh, they better get over this soon. I'm getting tired of random hissing and crashes. God, if they're this jealous of each other, how are they going to be when there's a baby in this house?"

"I had not even considered that," I told her with an eyebrow raised.

She smiled at me. "Speaking of which, look at this crib."

She had a catalogue of baby necessities in her hand. She pointed to a bright red crib on the corner of one page.

"It's cute, right? It will totally go with the red and grey theme."

I laughed. "Slow your roll there, babe. We don't even have a baby yet."

"Doesn't mean I can't already think about decorating the nursery!" she said, skipping back down the hall.

God, she was so damn cute. Everything that she did was absolutely adorable to me. But imagining her as a mother got me especially excited.

I had doubts about my own abilities as a parent just as I had my doubts about being a wife. Mostly because I hadn't been my best self in my recent past...

Since I reignited my relationship with Lisa, though, I was determined to be a better person. And one thing I didn't doubt was that I would never, ever leave her or my children. No matter what happened.

I followed Lisa down the hall. I had the urge to kiss her so, when I caught up with her, I wrapped my hands around her torso and gave her five quick pecks.

"You're in a good mood today, aren't you?" she asked cheerfully.

"Absolutely. With you, I'm always happy." I smiled.

"Hmm, I don't know if I buy that. Even when we're arguing? Even on the days where I drive you crazy?"

"Oh, definitely." I kissed her again. "Especially on those days. At our very worst, I'm still reminded of what it's like to live life without you. And I'll never forget how lucky I really am."

She kissed me back. "Well, you better do anything you can to keep me, then."

I winked at her. "I plan on it."

The End