Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

Umaira's POV

I woke up to my blaring alarm as I harshly hit it with lots of vexation.

Umair came in and was already dressed up for school.

"I'm leaving sleepy head, school starts in half an hour. Mom isn't giving you a ride because she left for work. Have fun being late for school, loser," He said snickering while running downstairs then said, "You better lock the door before you leave".

I rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever".

I quickly took a shower, yes, yes, I know, I already late but I don't want to leave the house smelling like garbage. After I was done, I wore a white t-shirt with blue jeans and denim jacket. And paired it with a blue hijabi and silver watch.

I hurriedly went to the garage and took my skateboard and rode it to school. It's hard to believe I was actually able to make it on time. With a couple of minutes till the school bell officially rings, I saw Umair from afar and yelled, "Umair, in your face idiot, I'm here on time looking amazing as always." I said laughing as his eyes widened probably shocked that I made it on time.

I was walking to my locker when I saw Firdaus and Khaleel waiting for me.

"Salaamu Allaikum, my beautiful friend",Firdaus tapped me on the back, grinning. I noticed today she didn't put on any make up like she always did, instead going for a more natural look, her eyes lit with morning cheerfulness.

"Wa Allaikummusalaam, you look stunning, Masha Allah", I complimented.

I really want to tell them what happened the past days but I guess I'll just have to wait a bit. Firdaus started telling us how her weekend was crazy. We all know Firdaus is a horrible cook, she tried baking cookies and almost ended up burning the whole house. We were all laughing and talking about the most hilarious things we did in middle school.

Before we went to our various classes, I spotted Austin smoking around the corner. Since when did he smoke? I have to ask him if everything's okay. We're friends now, and I don't want any friend of mine to go astray. Luckily, Firdaus and Khaleel didn't see him or else I wouldn't hear the end of it. I wouldn't want anyone to talk about my new partner.

"I'll see you guys later",I said waving at them and jogged towards Austin's direction.

"Hey ,how've you been?" I said waving at him, but he just ignored me. Ok that was rude.

"Are you gonna just ignore me?", I asked placing both hands on my hips. His brows were puckered,and his hair had the whole'just rolled out of bed' look. In fact, on further inspection, he looked...terrible.

Austin meets my eyes with disdain,"What's it with you, just leave me alone". He muttered bitterly and walked away, leaving me mystified to his sudden moodiness. Anytime Austin saw me, it's either he gives a cocky comment or smartass remark, but the way he's acting right now is so unlike him.Seeing Austin act this way really disturbs me, I have to know what's wrong.

I ran after him, when I was able to up, I blocked his path.

"Austin, please I know something's bothering you and I wanna help, so stop being stubborn and tell me what's wrong", I said.

"Just shut up and get out of my way. What would a stupid terrorist who always wears a towel know? If you don't move then I'll make you",He yelled out of anger. This made everyone in the hallway look towards our direction.

I wanted to cry, I don't know why but what he said really hurt me.

I looked into his eyes with sadness and said, "I thought there was more to you than just being what everyone said you were, I began to trust you. Ever since, my father died, I stopped trusting men, I even stopped trusting my brother, I thought you helped me that day because you cared, but I guess I was wrong. I thought you were my friend, but now I see that you are a selfish jerk, Austin Woods". I saw a hint of regret and pain in his eyes. But I didn't care, I want nothing to do with him again. And with this I stormed off.