Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

Umaira's POV

"UMAIRA YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL GET UP OR ELSE I'LL POUR WATER ON YOU" My mom yelled out as she came to my room.

"Ok! Ok! I'm up, but why do you have to yell so loud, mama?" I asked groaning, upset that I had to go to school. She raised her eyebrows and said," I have to yell because it's 7:30 and you only have 30 minutes to get to school."

I quickly rushed off to the bathroom," Why didn't you wake me up earlier?!"

"I did, but it seems you are just deaf and you better get ready in 5 minutes young lady" She replied fixing her scarf. Mom can be really exaggerating sometimes.

My mom is a doctor and is very good at her job, my dad passed away when I was twelve.

I have fair skin, with green eyes and dimples on each side of my cheek, as well as long eyelashes. My twin brother, Umair looks  a lot like my dad, with the light tan skin tone, greenish-blue eyes and light brown hair.

Then there was Aaliyah who was in grade 11( she is 16) and looked a lot like my mom except with no dimples but a cute eye smile. Aaliyah is sort of a spoiled teen who gets whatever she wants and spends her time shopping and on her phone like a stereotypical white girl. And not to mention Umair, he is just so annoying. Like one time he thought it would be funny  if he poured salt in my cereal while I was in my room. It seems I'm the only normal sibling in the household.

15 minutes later
"Mom" I yelled. " Have you seen my red hijab?"

" I washed and ironed it yesterday, look in your wardrobe, Umaira!" she yelled back.

I searched and searched for my hijab until I finally found it. Maybe it would be a good idea if I rearranged everything in my wardrobe or I'll still be having this problem every time.

I thanked my mother by kissing her cheek and heard Umair laughing at me in the background.

"Wow, I think you really need to get your eyes checked", he said still laughing.

I ignored him and rushed to catch the school bus on time with Aaliyah.

I kissed my mom goodbye and rushed out of the house with Aaliyah and Umair.

We ran to the bus stop and saw the bus coming. I was holding my hijab with one hand making sure it was in place. We finally arrived at the bus stop and made it just in time.

The bus was empty so there was enough room for the three of us to sit.

I took my phone from my bag and saw five unread messages from Khaleel and Firdaus, both asking me whether they should wait or not. I responded that I would be there in 10 minutes In shaa Allah ( If Allah permits).

It's a good thing I didn't live far from school. By bus, it took us 5 minutes, but by foot almost an hour.

After five minutes, I finally got off the bus and only had a few minutes to start the first period. I saw Khaleel and Firdaus in a distance waiting for Umair and I, so we ran towards them.

"Finally, are you ready to be locked away for another year?" shouted Khaleel as we were running towards them.

"Of course not, like who is" I thought.

I opened my arms widely to hug my beloved Firdaus, we hugged each other again and again for a long time before letting go. I laughed at our dramatic moment and she faked a tear "Umaira we haven't seen each other in 2 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes, 25 seconds". I gave her an odd look before saying," Wow! You've been counting?". She laughed before saying "Just kidding, I don't keep track of the days when I'm not good with numbers, all I know is we haven't seen each other in 2 days, I'm not some creep you know" She said as I laughed loudly.

I saw Umair moving towards his jock friends, he plays some sports so he is really popular, and according to girls he's good-looking but I think it's because they haven't seen the immature side of him, like drawing on my face while I'm sleeping, or burping in my face. I swear sometimes I think he's like someone in kindergarten not high school. I just feel sorry for the one marrying my brother. And I truly wish them the best of luck.

I walked up to him and his stupid friends stop in their tracks. I pointed at Amir before saying," We need to talk".

"Tell me later" he replied. "I insist that we have to talk right now". I said back.

"He said no Umaira, you can tell him later" Austin Woods spoke, otherwise known as the hottest guy in school. Every one in school wants to go out with him. He's the captain of most of our school sports and the son of supermodels. He has brown eyes mixed with a blue colour and fair skin. He's also my brother's best friend. I'm not surprised because they're both idiots.

But I really hate Austin, he dates girls almost everyday and doesn't even remember their names afterwards. It's unbelievable, he's a complete jerk. He once came to hang out with Umair at our house and said girls don't matter to him and they're all sluts. He's such a fool. I rolled my eyes at the sound of him and turned to face him with my fakest smile ever, I replied,"Look here, I wasn't talking to you, so it would be better if you mind your own business". I then pointed to his friends before continuing, "Same applies to the rest of you, I suggest no one says anything. Especially you Austin. Got it?"

They all nodded except Austin who came closer to me with a mischievous smile that showed his pearly white teeth said, "Wow princess, you're very lucky you're Umair's sister or else I wouldn't be this lenient with you. It would be my job to piss you off".

I raised an eyebrow and said, "Awe, I'm terrified, but don't be lenient give me your best shot idiot. And you're wrong, it's your job to be a jackass and think everyone likes you, which I'm sorry to break it to you, is wrong. Not everyone is desperately wanting you. You're just a bad boy that has tons of friends because daddy doesn't even come around when you need him. Now if you'll excuse me I have something to discuss with Umair". I was walking away with Umair who was shooting apologetic looks to his friends.

"Why'd you do that?" He asked giving me an upset look.

I signed and said, "I don't care, this is your fault since you didn't want to come. Anyways, mama won't be home early, so she wants us to buy some groceries. I can't go because I have work after school".

"Okay, but I think you should be nice to him. He has a good side, you know". He said with a pleading look on his face.

"I'm sorry, it's just that he's just an idiots, how can he date girls and dump them like trash, and  forget their names and also disrespect them. Women deserve respect. And as a Muslim girl, it's disgusting to see that. You also better behave Umair".

"Yes ma'am". He said teasingly and I rolled my eyes and went back to my first class.