chapter 6

You I drifted through the rest of my classes in a daze, still thinking about advanced Trig and... Xander.

******** ******** ******** ********

I cleared my throat, "Um, sorry, I'm Adi."

"Well, nice to meet you. What brings you to Garroway?" Xander asked with a smile. Did I mention how utterly heart stopping his smile was? No, well it is. And not just his smile, all of him; he had unblemished tan skin, geeky yet cute nerd glasses, hair messy but not too much, and his smile.

I realized that while I was shamelessly checking him out, he was waiting on my answer, one of his perfect eyebrows arched.

"Oh, OH! Uh, yea I, um applied and got in because I really loved this school." I said scrambling for a response.

"Of course," he said looking amused.

"Well, naw duh you like the school, Adi! You're here aren't you, and duh you applied! How else would you get in? Great, now I made myself look like an idiot!"

"Yeah, I'm new, and a freshman. And you're probably a junior, so... not that there's anything wrong with you, it's purely me, but... I can get a little awkward 'cause like I'm not even supposed to be in here..." I trailed off, noticing him giving me a questioning look.

"Actually, I'm a sophomore, but how did you manage to get into an upperclassmen class if you're just a freshman?" Xander asked.

"I don't know," I mumbled, maybe I had, you know, hacked the school's data base and put myself in here...

"So, where are you from, like Asia I can tell, but what country?" Xander asked out of the blue.

"Well I came here from India three years ago, but I moved here like six months after that." I stated.

"Really? That's so cool, me too! I came here five and a half years ago from India." He said looked excited, "Finally another fellow Indian."

As the conversation went on, I realized that he was an laid-back person and easy to talk to, no to mention he was so smart! Too bad he's perfect, and then I'm me, why would he want to date someone below is level? When the class was about to end, Xander quickly scrawled down a series of numbers and letters making a complex equation.

I looked at the paper, "What was he doing?"

"What are you doing?" I asked, voicing my thoughts.

"My number," then he walked out.

I squealed, I can't wait to tell the girls! They'll freak, but it's not like I can date.

****** ****** ****** ******

I was walking out of my last period class, psychology with Kasper and Alex, and they both seemed to be in the same daze as I was-- boy induced. I asked Kas about her day and she launched into a detailed, hyper explanation of her day... and her BOY.

"Oh, Adi, He was beautiful!" Kas said glowing with happiness. Good, she needed some distractions, Kas was missing her family a lot, and boys can be an excellent distractions, "Anyway, how was your first day?"

I giggled, knowing she wanted the juicy details, I complied, "Well... there is this Indian boy in advanced trig..." I smiled thinking about Xander again.

"WHAT INDIAN boy?!" Kasper shrieked getting excided, love her!

I laughed again, "I know! I thought the only one would be my brother. And he's kinda geeky, but I swear, if he fixes his hair and gets some contacts, there's no telling how cute he would be. Plus, I don't really think I want super beachy boys..." now, I added in my head.

Kasper got lost in her thoughts as we walked towards where our golf cart was parked, I wondered if she was hiding something from me?

Concerned when she bit her lip hard enough to draw blood, I asked, "What are you thinking?"

"I was just thinking, did you get the boy's number?" the answer was too quick, and I knew something was up, but I let it slip. If it was something really serious, Kas knew she could come to me or any of the other girls.

"Oh, Xander? Yeah, but he's a math G-E-E-K, he gave it to me in this little code thing, I'll have to figure it out later. It also has a message, but I've only figured out the word 'you're'." I handed Kas the half solved paper, her expression laughable-- she looked so confused!

"I haven't seen this many numbers since algebra." She said.

"I know! Cute, geeky, and adorable, right?"

Kas smirked, "Uh, if you're into that sort of thing." Well I am, thank you.

The cart came into sight, and I loaded up, Kas behind the wheel, but she was stopped by Michael.

"Oooh, what's going on between them? I'll have to squeeze the details out later..." I thought looking at Michael and Kas.

They talked for a while, gesturing towards us and she looked happy. But then I saw a girl walking towards them, a black curly haired girl with freckles. "NO! No, no, no, no, no! Please don't turn around Kasper, hurry up girl!" I was mentally screaming, but before I could distract the girl or call out to Kas, it was too late. Kas turned around, having the same reaction that I didn't want her to suffer through again. She reached out, her face devoid of any color,

"Raven?" she mouthed.

The girl that was walking stopped concerned, I mentally urged her to keep moving, but instead she said, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just thought you were someone else." Kas said, her voice still barely a whisper. Michael came up behind her, and some of the panic in her face disappeared. She gave him a short answer, and drove us home in silence. I could see the memories threatening to flood her eyes, trying to escape, but she held back until she got to her room, swiftly shutting herself in and locking us out.

How did she go from happy and giggling to shutting out the world, you ask? Well, losing a best friend-- almost sister to her-- can do that to you.