Chapter One: The City Of Liandro

Mila

Every summer, I was so lucky I got the opportunity to spend a few weeks with my uncle, Darius Xavius, in the modern city called Liandro. It had always been something I looked forward to.

My uncle was a lanista-a man who purchased and looked after Lycan warriors. They fought for him against other Lanistas' warriors, earning him money because rich folk would gamble over these matches. Because of this, Darius was pretty well known and respected in his large city.

"Money is power." That's what he always told me. I didn't care much for that; I was just glad that he treated his warriors well and gave them a good life. They got food, wine, and comfort during the nights. Not every Lanista took such good care for his Lycans, so I respected my uncle for that.

His most famous warrior was a Lycan called Connor. I've seen him in action a few times, but only from a distance, as I was never allowed to come close to any of them.

"It's still a beast, Mila, no matter how you treat it." That's another thing that Darius always told me.

I always found it difficult that everyone talked about these creatures as if they were things and not living beings. When it came to rankings, Lycans stood even beneath dogs. And that was strange to me because they were the reason that my uncle could live such a luxurious life. How Lycans were treated by everyone just didn't seem fair to me. Truthfully, I've always been fascinated by them, and in these next few weeks, I'll get to see them in real life again.

My fascination had begun after I was saved by one as a child. People never believed me when I told them it was a Lycan that saved me, but I know it was. They said Lycans never cared for humans. But the one that saved me did. And even if the rest of Lycans didn't care, I couldn't blame them with the way they were seen by us humans-as if they were filth.

Right now, I was on my way to Liandro for one of those annual visits. It had been a bumpy ride in the carriage but luckily, we have just entered the city after a few days on the road. It was always so busy here. And there were many people outside who sold stuff on the markets, so the air smelled of spices and leather and perfume instead of trees. In my small village, it always smelled of trees.

"We're almost there, Milady," said the coachman.

I stuck my head out of the carriage and in the far distance, I already saw my uncle's estate. It was called the house of Xavius and it was a large household.

While the humans lived in one of the villas, the Lycans stayed in the ludus, their training base, where they also lived. Except for a handful of villas and the ludus located next to the main villa, there was also a bathhouse, a garden, and outside was a small arena where the warriors trained. Last year, my room had a view of that arena, and I'd spent many hours observing the warriors during their training, and made portraits and paintings of them, a hobby that many people couldn't appreciate. They didn't understand why I was interested in such creatures. And they were mostly appalled that a woman had such interests.

I smiled when the carriage finally stopped in front of the white main villa. My uncle already stood outside, dressed in a dark green long tunic, waiting for my arrival.

"Uncle," I said as I jumped outside.

"My girl!" he opened his arms. "Look at you. You're even more beautiful than you were a year ago!"

I greeted my uncle with a hug. "I'm glad to be back," I replied.

"And I'm glad to have you back," he said, patting my back. "How's my beautiful sister doing?"

"Mother is doing well. She has another man every three months."

Darius barked out a laugh. "Good for her. My sister has always been popular with men."

"She still is," I replied.

"And her daughter is as beautiful as she is."

"..."

I smiled as an answer.

I didn't take compliments about my looks all too well. I've always been told I was a beautiful young woman, but to me, looks had never been something important. I appreciated it more when people praised me for my paintings and sculptures instead of complimenting my "beautiful amber hair and deep blueberry blue eyes."

Darius laughed and put his arm around me. "Don't be shy now. Let us go inside, my precious."

***

After a little rest, I was greeted by friends of Darius that were visiting the house of Xavius especially to greet me.

"Mila, it's good to see you again," said Felix, the man who was to sit beside me as we all took our place at the long dining table for dinner.

He was a man my uncle's age, but he looked much younger than Darius did. He was quite handsome, if I was honest, even more handsome than Darius was. He was tall, broad, had long black wavy hair till his shoulders, and his eyes were the most unusual brown I've ever seen. They were very light brown.

He also always spoiled me with presents, whether I was here or at home. I think he did that for a reason...his attention to me was quite obvious.

"It's good to see you too, Sir," I said. "And thank you again for the oils."

Felix had sent a box with different bath oils to my house the other day. Mother had thought they were for her, so I gave them to her since the gift wasn't interesting to me. I mean, it was nice-nice he thought of me-but I wasn't interested in those oils. Even though Felix had developed an interest in me, that didn't mean he got my attention too. I just didn't like him in that way.

A moment later, dinner was served. Soup, bread, fish, fruit, vegetables, porridge, and lots of wine. It was always unbelievable what they served in the house of Xavius.

"Mila, how about a stroll through the garden after we finish dinner?" Felix asked after I had eaten my belly round till I almost burst-so not lady-like.

"I'm still a little tired, Sir," I answered, also because I didn't want to lead him on.

"We can visit the ludus if you like," he replied.

"Oh! Can we, really?"

The prospect of visiting the ludus changed my opinion. I really wanted to go with him now. I knew it was kinda mean, but I didn't care about that. All I cared about was the opportunity to go to the place I wanted to go so desperately.

"I thought you were tired?" Darius asked, smiling and shaking his head.

"I am...but..."

"Let the girl see the ludus. You know the youngsters are always intrigued by the fights and the fighters, Darius," Rebecca said.

She was the sister of Darius's wife, Priscilla, who sadly had passed away a few years back. I've always liked Rebecca. She was never afraid to say what she wanted. And in this case, she helped me out.

"Yes," my uncle answered. "And I want her to stop with that fascination. Before you know it, she'll start seeing those beasts as actual men."

I didn't like that Darius had said that. "Uncle, you-"

Felix cut me off. "So, that's a yes?"

"Yes, Sir," I said, glaring at my uncle, who looked back at me and put a grape in his mouth.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that way during your last visit. Just call me Felix."

I turned my head at Felix again. "Ok, I will, Felix."