Chapter Eight: Jealousy

Connor

They'd gotten worse, those humans. Now Darius wanted me to kill one of my own team? What the fuck was that all about?

Angrily, I slammed my fist into the wall, which was about the dumbest thing I could have done because now it wasn't only my back that was wounded, but also my hand. I cursed at the stinging pain my split open knuckles gave me, although they at least took my mind off the pain that my torn back caused.

Damn the humans, damn them all!

I ripped off a piece of fabric from the blanket I always slept on and wrapped it around my hand.

The moon was full yesterday, but it was still almost full. There wasn't much light that could shine inside my room since the window was small, but the little that peeked inside could help me heal my wounds. It was a clear sky too.

I enjoyed the view for a while and I wish I could have done it in peace, but the music, laughter, and voices coming from the villa were murmuring in the background, spoiling everything.

Right before I wanted to sink to the floor, a motion outside caught my eyes. It was a shadow moving on the balcony in the near distance. I had looked at that balcony often, wondering to which one of those devils it belonged to, but I'd never seen anybody. Until now. It was Mila who stood there, the one that had saved Rhett today.

I took a step closer to the window, breathed against the glass, and cleaned it a little with my good hand.

I suppose she saved me too, because I would have never killed my only brother. I don't know what Darius was thinking, but he was wrong to assume I would listen to that command. Even if he would have attempted to beat me to death, rip out my eyes, cut off my balls, or boil me alive, I still would not have listened to him. He would have had to kill me along with Rhett.

Maybe it was so that any other Lycan would have killed him, especially with the drug placed under their nose. And that thought was rather sad. Also, if that was the case, then I had been this close to giving away my act today if the human I'm looking at right now hadn't stepped in.

And for that, I was grateful.

Mila placed her hands on the balustrade and closed her eyes. She stood like that for a while, her hair moving in the breeze. I couldn't help but keep watching her. It irritated me I did, but no matter how much I wanted to keep hating her, I simply just... couldn't. What she did today wasn't just something. She could have been punished, yet... she didn't think about herself and helped Rhett instead.

She did that...for a Lycan.

It would be good if she would be gone by the next full moon so that I could spare her life. We would be even if I did. A life for a life.

I sighed and lay down. I should cut this shit out. Yes, I should. No mercy for anyone. That's the only way. That's what I had planned, and that was what I should do.

I told myself that I was only intrigued by her because she'd offered me a gift and because she seemed to be less of a monster than the others were. But was that the truth? If it was, then why had I continuously sniffed at the drawing she gave me since Caspian put me in my room today. I must have done it four times already. Her scent was almost gone. There was only a bit left of it, but if I inhaled deeply, I could still catch a small whiff.

I sighed. "Fuck, Connor."

While lying on the ground, I looked out of the window, at the starry sky and moon, trying to fight the urge to stand up again. I lost that battle almost straight away and found myself standing in the same position as I stood a minute ago. Only this time Mila wasn't alone. An older man had joined her. I recognized him as a friend of Darius.

The hairs on the backside of my neck instantly straightened when I looked at the two humans. The man turned around and leaned against the balustrade.

I spat on the window, grabbed my blanket off the floor, and quickly cleaned the window as best as I could before I pressed my nose against the glass and watched the scene. When I saw Mila reach out her hand, I didn't know what came over me when I already felt a few bones break inside of me as my wolf wanted to take over. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to catch my breath back.

"No," I told myself, trying to calm myself down. I didn't want to change into my beast shape while being trapped here.

When I looked up, I saw the older black-haired man stepping closer to Mila as he placed his hand on the younger's hip before it curled around her waist.

"Oh, for the love o-of God...w-what is wrong with m-me?!" I growled, grabbing my head between my hands, which were already growing longer claws and fur.

Two seconds later, I was fully shifted and could only focus on the two people standing outside, their mouths coming closer and closer together. Instincts took over me and I punched through the window, as hard as I could, the glass cutting up my hand in the process. I roared as loud as possible, making Mila and the man turn around in shock. She looked at me with wide eyes. I roared once more, as loud as thunder, and heard Rhett cursing in his room beside me. A few of the other Lycans responded with growls as well.

"What the fuck?" Rhett hissed. "What are you doing, man?"

I could hear him perfectly since the ability to hear was even stronger as a wolf, as well as my sight and all other senses.

I growled at him he should mind his own business, as I very well knew that this little scene I was currently making was going to get me into trouble. I couldn't care less, though. I got what I wanted-the man left the balcony after Mila had sent him away. She, however, remained where she stood and looked at me as I looked back at her while sticking my muzzle outside of the window.

We stayed like that until Caspian came for me and shot a few of his tranquilizer arrows into my ass, making me hit the ground till it was all black and quiet.