Chapter 2

Kai gazed around. No one was in sight. Silently, he reached over and opened the drawer of his night table and, ignoring his aching stomach, pulled out a red-covered book. With a rough sigh, he rolled back onto his back. After grabbing a pen, he opened up the book and began writing in it.

A few minutes later, footsteps came from the hall. Kai's head shot up and he hurriedly shoved the book back into the drawer as Cole, Zane, and Jay entered the room.

"Hey, Kai!" Jay said as the three joined him by the bed.

Cole glanced at the night table. "Okay... I can't pretend I didn't see that." His eyes glittered teasingly. "What are you writing?"

Kai crossed his arms. "I'm not writing anything!"

Jay bounced up and down. "Kai's keeping a diary! Kai's keeping a diary!" he teased.

Frustrated, Kai grabbed his pillow and threw it at him.

"Ow!" Jay yelped.

"It's not a diary!" Kai protested.

Zane frowned. "Cut it out you two," he told Cole and Jay. "Surely Kai must find something to do while he's stuck in bed?"

Cole gave a short sigh. "If you weren't injured, I'd tackle you for it," he muttered to Kai.

"What's that supposed to mean?" the red ninja exclaimed. When no one replied, he furrowed his eyebrows. "You guys feel sorry for me!"

Cole shook his head. "I didn't—"

"You don't think I'm strong enough to fight!" Kai stood up to Cole intimidatingly. "Well, I'll show you just how strong I am!"

"Boys!"

The four ninja froze at the sound of Nya's voice.

She glanced at them questioningly, then shrugged. "Dinner is ready," she told them before leaving again.

Cole's face lit up. "I'm starved!" He raced after Nya.

"No way am I letting you get first pick!" Jay darted after him. "You eat too much!"

When their chuckling faded into the distance, Kai sighed and sat back down. "What am I doing?" he murmured, forgetting Zane was still here.

"Come on," Zane said, patting his back. "Let's go eat."

* * *

Jay walked down the hall a few days later. Wu had called everyone to an important meeting, and he was heading toward the meeting room. It must be about Lloyd, he thought. It's all the guy can talk about.

As he neared the room, he spotted Kai coming from the other end of the hall. The red ninja had left the hospital room the day before, but he still wasn't fully healed. Jay rushed over to him as he suddenly staggered into the wall and clutched his stomach, hissing with pain.

"Here, let me help you," Jay offered, placing his arm over Kai's shoulder.

Together, the ninja entered the meeting room. Jay's leg was fully healed now, and he felt much better now that he could walk strongly on both feet.

The others were already there—everyone except Lloyd. Wu stopped in his pacing as the last two came in.

"What's this all about?" Cole demanded as Jay and Kai settled down.

"Lloyd?" Zane asked.

Wu rubbed his chin. "Partly," he replied.

"Partly Lloyd and partly..." Kai waited for an answer.