Chapter 14

Cole and Zane pushed open the door to Wu's room, finding both Wu and Garmadon inside.

"We can't find him," Cole reported.

Garmadon ran his fingers through his hair. "It's probably too late anyway," he sighed. "Lloyd will be searching for the truth high and low."

"Did you find Kai?" Wu inquired.

"Kai?" Zane echoed. "We weren't looking for Kai."

Wu shook his head. "I just get the feeling Lloyd is about to do something foolish," he murmured. "Something that may shake Kai to his roots."

"Then let's go find him." Garmadon rose to his feet. "We don't want anything else terrible to happen to either of them."

Wu nodded. "Split up and search the monastery," he told them. "Let's hope we can stop Lloyd before he can do what I think he'll do."

* * *

Lloyd slipped around the halls until he found the sword hanging on the wall. He glanced around one more time, but no one was around. He walked up to the sword. Okay, he thought. Let's see what this baby can do!

Lloyd reached forward and took the sword off the wall. A shiver shot through him as it fell into his fingers and he smirked. This thing is cool!

For fun, he swiped it around in the air, surprised at how natural it felt in his hands, as if he had used it before.

Then he lowered it down again and inspected it.

Hmm... He looked up at the blade and ran his fingers along it. Definitely sharp, he observed. It could most definitely cut through someone's stomach!

Then Lloyd noticed something else. Peering closer, he saw a faint outline of red at the very tip. Blood! He scratched his head. But this sword hasn't been used in years! He rubbed his chin, deep in thought. Or has it...?

He lifted the sword again. But if Kai really did get wounded by this sword, who was it that wounded him? Who would use this old thing to hurt my friend? Lloyd swung it around again, chuckling. Well, I gotta admit, it's pretty awesome!

* * *

Kai hummed to himself as he walked down the hall, minding his own business and clearly not knowing what was going on in the monastery right now with the others. Maybe I can catch the game before anyone else changes the channel on me! Besides, he needed something to distract him from the anxiety he was feeling.

But as he headed through the monastery, he noticed how eerily quiet it was. He glanced around uneasily. Where is everyone?

A faint laugh sounded from down the hall.

Blinking, Kai followed the sound. What is everyone doing down here? But as he got closer, he realized it wasn't many voices, but only one—Lloyd. He furrowed his eyebrows. What is he up to now?

Kai picked up his pace and rounded a corner until he spotted the green ninja. He halted. Lloyd was chuckling to himself as he swung something around. Kai's blood turned to ice as he realized what it was.

That sword! he thought. The sword that almost killed me!

Unable to move, Kai watched as Lloyd swiped the sword at imaginary objects, laughing in delight. Clearly, he was enjoying himself. Kai's heart pounded in his chest. No...

Lloyd suddenly froze and turned around until he was facing Kai. Kai's heart skipped a beat as his intense gaze rested on him.

"Uh..." Lloyd scratched his head. "H-hey, Kai!" he said nervously.

But Kai barely paid attention. The red ninja felt his thoughts whirl as Lloyd stalked closer to him, sword at hand.

"Hey, Kai!" the green ninja sneered. He lifted the sword over him.

Kai completely froze in fear. All his senses clogged and blurred. His breath quickened and his heart pounded. It was happening again—his biggest fear was coming true.

Kai let out a cry of pain as Lloyd pierced his stomach deeply with the sword. The red ninja gasped and trembled. The world seemed to spin. Darkness threatened to overtake him. He wrapped his arms around his stomach and fell to his knees. Shaking from head to toe, he moaned and groaned, the pain overwhelming him.

"Kai!" a voice called desperately. "Kai!"

Kai jerked as something patted him on the back. Everything spun and he gasped as he was jolted back to reality. Panting, he looked up to see Lloyd standing over him. The red ninja's eyes widened in fear as he spotted the sword still in Lloyd's hand.

Kai jerked and scrambled away from him, unable to get to his feet. "I-I-I thought we t-told you to stay away from that sword!" he gasped.

Lloyd followed him. "Kai, what's wrong?" he inquired. "Are you okay?"

Kai squeaked as the green ninja closed in on him. His thoughts whirled. He staggered away from Lloyd and the sword. Panic and anxiety rained down on him. He let out a cry of fear when he found himself cornered. Lloyd stalked up to him until he was trapped against the wall, sword ready in his hand.

Kai had never felt so terrified in all his life. His hands scrabbled at the floor, but there was nowhere to run. Shaking violently, he covered his face with his hands, whimpering. His horror-filled gaze caught a flash of the sword and he tensed, curling up deeper into the corner. "Get that thing away from me!" he shrieked in distress.

* * *

Wu headed through the halls, eyes alert for anything. He looked up as footsteps sounded from up ahead, and he spotted Cole coming over to him.

"No sign of them on the eastern side," the ninja reported.

"Nor on the western," Wu added.

Deep in thought, they stood silent as a cry of distress suddenly rang from the hall.

Cole's eyes widened with alarm. "That sounds like..."

"Kai!" Wu finished for him. "Come on!"

He raced toward the sound, Cole hard on his trail. "This can't be good!" Cole panted. "What if what you feared already happened?"

Wu's breath quickened. "I think it just did."