chapter 8; yorkshire pie

"We weren't expecting you," Eleanor mumbled, readjusting the blanket on her lap and legs.

Charlotte pursed her lips, briefly. "I know, I took work off early today."

"You didn't have to," Eleanor gave a quick smile her way.

Charlotte pressed her lips into a thin line before turning around in her seat, "Honey, where are you?"

In the kitchen, Nora poured her mother a glass of water. She looked over her shoulder, briefly, at the basement door before walking out. "I'm coming."

Handing her the glass, she took a seat between the two on the recliner.

"Thank you," Charlotte said under her breath.

"So how are you both? Enjoying your time?" she asked then turning to Nora.

"Yeah," Nora smiled. "It's been good."

"So where were you guys coming in from?" Charlotte asked, placing the glass on her knee.

"From th-"

"Just out," Eleanor interrupted Nora from speaking.

"Okay," Charlotte nodded.

They were quiet for a while and Nora felt the pressure of initiating a conversation. She glanced at Eleanor who appeared a little drowsy.

"Do you want to have a lie down, nan?"

"I'm alright," she replied.

"Okay, you sure?"

Charlotte watched them both, silently.

"I should change my clothes," Eleanor said after a moment.

"Okay," Nora nodded, giving her leg space so she could walk past.

As she left the room, Charlotte seemed to be more relaxed. "How's Patrick?" she asked.

"He's good," Nora replied.

"It's nice that he's coming down here," she smiled.

Nora looked at Charlotte's red lipstick and sighed, "Yeah, he's excited to meet nan."

"I'm sure."

"How's work?"  Nora asked.

"It's good," Charlotte answered, pleased.

Nora nodded once and gave an awkward smile. She was too distracted by the idea that Eleanor might see the marks on her door upstairs. She waited, in case she called her name, trying to come up with an explanation that didn't make her sound completely insane. Especially with her mother in the house.

"Have you started planning the wedding yet? Charlotte asked, interrupting her thoughts.

"No," Nora replied, curtly.

"Not yet," she added, later.

"Okay," Charlotte mumbled, in thought. "No decision on the date or?"

Nora looked at her mother, "No, we're taking it slow right now. Just occupied with the new house and job."

Charlotte tried not to show her disappointment. "Of course."

Nora moved back in her seat, relaxing when she concluded that Eleanor must not have seen the door.

"Will you be staying for dinner?" Nora asked.

Charlotte sighed, "I don't think she's going to appreciate me staying that long."

Nora gave a insouciant shrug, "She'll be fine. I think you should stay. It's been a long time since we've all been together like this."

"Exactly," Charlotte broke eye contact and unzipped her purse, retrieving her phone from inside. She unlocked it and checked her notifications bar before closing it again.