chapter 13; bedsheets

Elijah found himself back home, watching the trees through the window in his living room. Seated on one of the leather sofas, he listened to the fire crackle. The heating was still off and so the house pulled whatever warmth the fireplace could offer.

He stood up after a while and walked upstairs to his studio. Creaking the door open slowly, he stepped inside, eyes trailing the canvases lined along the wall. Lost in thought, he finally took a seat in front of his latest piece and observed it. He remembered watching Nora as she had looked over it. Her gaze had been soft and thoughtful. He recalled the first time she'd seen his work and how hesitant he had been. But she saw something different in his work than he could and it had been comforting and almost, validating as an artist.

Despite the time that had passed, he still treasured her opinion of his work. It pleased him to know that she still liked them.

He was reminded of the last conversation he had with her. It appeared to him that she no longer had any feelings toward him and it pained him to think about it. It felt foolish to have allowed a glimmer of hope to enter. After all, what else could he expect after the way things had ended.

His phone began to vibrate in his pocket so he pulled it out, "Hello?"

It was Nora. Never had his spirit changed so fast, soaring with elation.

"Hi, Elijah?"

"Hey."

"It's Nora," she sounded a little out of breath.

He nodded to himself. He would always recognise her voice. "Yeah, what's up?"

He waited for her to respond but she took her time, "I need your help."

Elijah swallowed, "With what?"

"It's better if I tell you in person. I know you must be busy but would you be free around one, tomorrow afternoon?"

"Of course. Is everything okay? You sound worried."

"I'll tell you tomorrow? Is it okay if you could come by the house?" she sounded hopeful.

"Of course, I'll be there," he reassured her.

She let out a breath she didn't realise she was holding. "Thanks so much, Elijah."

"But Nora?"

"Yes?"

"You're safe, right? Everything okay?"

"Yes," she replied after a short pause.

Elijah relaxed and the call ended, abruptly. He looked down at the phone, wondering if that had actually just happened. Outside, the sky was gray as clouds drifted above. There was silence but now, Elijah felt a speck of comfort, too.

Nora was upstairs when Eleanor awoke from her nap. She could hear her in her room, the sound of rustling plastic bags being fiddled around with. Nora turned and made her way to Eleanor's bedroom, knocking softly on the door.

"Come in."

Nora opened the door to see Eleanor wrapping a bag and pushing it back into her drawer. She watched her straighten her back and return to her bed, "Hey."

"Hello," Eleanor replied, simply. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," Nora shrugged. "Just had a shower. What about you?"