chapter 10; cold evenings

Eleanor was restless and it wasn't because of the two painkillers she'd taken. She sat on the edge of her bed, feeling nauseous. A figure of a man stood in the middle of the room, not far from where Eleanor sat.

"I know, I know," she snarled, her fingers gripping the mattress.

A low groan escaped its throat.

"It's always raining," she muttered, bitterly. "What am I supposed to do about it?"

It groaned again, as if complaining to her about something.

"He's stayed down this long," she sighed, touching her stomach over her nightgown. "But the dirt seeps, Henry. And I can't do this alone."

There was no response and Eleanor finally looked up at the figure dressed in oversized corduroy trousers and green collared shirt. Its head was blotched with areas of scarce hair and drooped eyelids covering lazy eyes.

"You left me in this mess," she told it.

It groaned a little, refuting what she had said.

"Yeah, I know," she sighed, standing up and putting her slippers on. "I'm just sick of this life, Henry."

It wailed at a high pitch as Eleanor walked past. "I never asked for this," she mumbled, leaving her bedroom.

The figure was left standing alone in the center of the room, its trousers barely clinging to its frail hips and hair stuck to its balding and smooth scalp. It continued to wail in sadness as Eleanor made it downstairs.

The flame flickered and so did Nora's gaze for a moment. Her fingers fiddled with the small home made croissant while her other hand balanced tea cup on her knee.

"These are really good," she complimented the food.

"Thank you," he took a bite as well.

"I hope it wasn't too much trouble," she continued.

"Don't be silly," he replied.

Nora put the plate down on the small coffee table and reclined on the sofa with her tea. All of a sudden, the sound of thunder rumbling caught her attention. She turned to look at the window and then back at Elijah.

"Is it-" she began.

"Yes," he answered before she could finish. "It's raining."

"Hmm," she started to think.

"It should be over soon," he added. "Don't worry about it."

She met his gaze, "You sure? I don't want to drive back through flooded roads."

"It won't and if it does, I'll drive you back," he offered.

"That wouldn't be fair on you," she smiled.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't mind," he told her.

She pursed her lips and took another sip of tea.

"So how long has it been since you stopped teaching?" Nora decided to change the topic for a while.

Elijah looked at her, "Two years."

She nodded, slowly.