Chapter 7: Forest Temple

Link stood outside the temple, his eyes looking straight into entrance. Why do I feel like I'm walking straight into huge fight that I can't win?, he thought. He had been standing there for while. Next to him, there was a shop being run by a sarcastic parrot (Coro's pet), which had sold him some lantern oil and a special drink.

     Link, hero of this era, come.

     Link looked around. Who said that? Who is calling me? He had only been looking at the entrance to the temple. Now he saw a wolf with light blonde fur and blank red eyes staring at him, watching his every move. Why isn't it attacking? It's just sitting there. It's definitely not a regular wolf, he thought, Then again, neither am I, even though right now I'm human.

     He walked up to the wolf, sword in his left hand, sheild in his right. The wolf jumped. Light flooded the area suddenly, blinding Link who could not see his assailant. He fell unconcious from the overwhelming light.

* * * * *

     The ground went soft. Link awoke in a strange area. He couldn't see the ground. He appeared to be standing on clouds. There was a castle to the northeast, a town west of it. The wolf stood in front of him. It howled, causing a more brief flash. When it ended, a Stalfos in bronze armor stood in its place. Link attacked and was struck down by a forceful blow from the Stalfos' ancient sword.

     "A sword holds no power unless its master holds courage. I am the Hero Shade, teacher of the hidden skills", It said.

     Link got up, staring at him. Is he the wolf? What does he mean by hidden skills? I was taught everything about swords by Rusl!, he thought.

     "If you wish to conquer your quest you must have courage. I shall teach you the hidden skills pasted down from generation to generation. This shall be your first lesson", Hero Shade told him.

     "Wait! What do you mean generation?!" Link asked, shocked.

     "Pay attention or you won't learn a thing, Link", Shade retorted, "The first skill, the final blow." He leaped into the air and stabbed the ground.

      "Now then, you try it on me."

     Link slashed him and repeated the move once Shade was down.

     "The first hidden skill, the final blow, has been mastered. We shall meet again", There was another blinding flash. Link reappeared near the temple entrance. That was weird, he thought. He started up the path and burned a spider web that was blocking the entrance. Inside, there was a platform that you had to climb vines to get to and two monsters screaming at a monkey that was in a cage.

      "That's the monkey from before", Midna observed. Link killed the monsters broke the cage. The monkey jumped around, climbed up the vines, and beckoned for Link to follow. At the top of the platform, Link opened the door. There were two sets of stairs, one he was standing on leading to the grassy floor, and one leading to another platform in the middle of the room. A huge spider lowered itself down from the ceiling.

       Link did slashed at its face, knocking it over. He then did a final blow. Looks like the move is useful after all, he thought. Taking out his lantern, he lit the four torches at the top of the stairs. Steps elevated so he could walk to the door in front of him. The monkey led the way. Outside, there was a long wooden bridge. They were about to cross when a baboon with a strange mask and boomerang stopped them by slicing the ropes with the weapon.

       "What was that? Did we just walk into a monkey feud?" Midna asked. Link scratched his head and walked back inside. There were two other door accessible by a rope. The monkey hung upside down in the middle of one. Link jumped and grabbed its hand, swinging to the other side. We're gonna have to help her to get out of here, he thought.