Chapter 6: Faron's Tears of Light

"Come on Link! Get 'em!" Midna cheered as Link battled three shadow beasts. You could help ya know, Link thought angrily. He ran over to the twilight barrier where Midna was floating.

     "What? Can't you handle this?! You know, you sure a absent minded when it comes to these things", She said, "Fine, I'll help."

     She jumped on his back and had him get in the middle of the circle that the beasts were forming. An energy field formed around them. On impulse, Link attacked the all of the beasts and in seconds they fell. The barrier failed and disappeared. Link ran out of the field and towards the Wood Spring. The Light Spirit, Faron, should be there, Link thought along the way through a naturally formed tunnel. The Spring sat on the other side.

     Link...Come to the Spring...Ordona has spoken about you...Take this...It is a Tear Vessel...Collect the Wood's Tears of Light...

     Link was given the Vessel and followed his map which Midna carried at the moment in order to find the first few Tears. They soon came to Coro's two story shed. Coro wasn't outside. Link jumped onto a ledge that was on the side of the shed. They went into the shed only to find Coro's spirit on top of a stack of boxes.

     "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!"

     The blood curdling scream caught them off guard. Their attention was diverted to a sparky object moving across the floor. A twi-bug. One of the many that carried a stolen Tear of Light. Link used his new senses to locate it and attack. Coro stopped shaking and sighed. Link and Midna escaped the way they came.

     The rest of the Tears were on the other side of the locked gate. Link sniffed at the ground. I should have left this gate open when I went back to Ordon, He thought. His nose got caught in a small hole at the bottom of the gate. He dug his way under and continued through the tunnel. He slowly came to a stop.

     "What is that? Be careful. It looks deadly...it smells that way, too!" Midna warned. A purple fog covered the forest floor. Great, Link thought, We sure are stuck now. He walked toward it slowly. The smell of death filled his nose. He choked and coughed wildly.

     "Heehee. It's poisonous all right. You shouldn't do that anymore if you want to live to rescue your friends", Midna said gleefully. Link snarled at her and continued his search of the grounds. He could find two possibilities, a stump and short cliff. He looked around each and desided on the stump. It was small but would lead them to wide, yet tall, trees that had thick, flat branches. They leaped from branch to branch, sometimes landing on high areas caused by storms.

     Link was struck suddenly by sparks and used his senses to spot a flying twi-bug. What?! These things can fly, too?, Link thought, aggravated. He pounced, missing, several times.

     "Hee hee! You really need some common sense! Use the force field!" Midna said.

     Link scolded himself at his stupidity. I should have thought of that, he thought, Why did I agree to do this for Midna?

     "Well? Are you going to kill the bug or not?!" Midna yelled.

     Link looked at her angrily. Then, following her orders, focused on the bug and used the force field to kill it.

     "Good. Now lets keep going. There's still more to get", Midna said.

     Link went on reluctantly. This is just great. Killing bugs and following the orders of Midna, he thought sarcastically, All I want is to find my friends. She's the only one who can get me to them. Remembering this made him go faster. Quicking his pace to a trot, he continued his mission to obtain the Tears of Light.

     An hour later he broke into a quick paced run. One to go and I'll be normal again! he thought excitedly. The bug was no where in sight. He looked around, agitated at the fact that he couldn't find it. Huh? What's that shadow on the ground from? he thought. Putting his nose to the ground, he received a jolt of electricity and pain.

     "Idiot! That's the bug! Dig wolf!" Midna scolded.

     Realizing his mistake, Link began digging furiously. The bug jumped and electricuted him again. Loathing it, Link pounced, tearing the bug to shreds.

     "Hey! It's dead! It's dead! Stop that!" Midna said trying to get him away from it. Nonetheless, she was amused by his aggravated attack.

     Link growled, backed away, and collected the Tear. He was suddenly surrounded by a blinding light. He closed his eyes and cringed. When he opened them he was back at the spring.

     Thank you Link...You are truly a hero...

     With the return of the light...you work is not done...

     You must go to the forest temple...

     This garment you now wear belonged to the Hero of Time...

     You must save Hyrule...It is your destiny...

     Link looked at his new green tunic and nodded. When Faron left, he headed back toward the village to prepare.

*  *  *  *  *

     Link went straight to Rusl and Uli's home. Rusl was asleep on the couch. Uli stood to greet him.

     "Rusl was injured by the beasts that raided the village", She said.

     Link looked at Rusl, remembering how he had looked when he had heard him landing in the river. Rusl mumbled in his sleep. Link was sorrowful for having taken the sword.

     "Those monsters took the children, Link. will you help them?" Uli asked, pleadingly.

     Link looked up. Sincere, he nodded his head. Uli smiled and nodded back.

     "I know you'll find them. I have faith in you Link!" She said.

     As Link turned to leave she stopped him.

     "You found the sword?" She asked, "Keep it. Then I'll know it will be in good hands."

     Link thanked her and walked outside. Malo, Talo, Beth, Colin, Ilia, he thought, All my friends have been taken, now I must get them back. The safety of them and Hyrule are in my hands. Having found more courage and hope, he left the village and started his long journey.